Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys still cant search on this forum for some reason..is there a typical reason or fault with the stock fan.. i may just put a better aftermarket one in but im curious as to hows it controlled and if theres a typical flaw with this system making run all the time.

Paul
84 svo
88 and 86 xr4ti

·
Boss Member
4,627 Posts
From my understanding the SVO used the fan controller as my car. There is a Module near the column has TRW on it. They usually fail because of circuit board to wire connection burns out. The sometimes happens because the fan motor goes bad. Should test fan motor to make sure good before replacing it or doing my method of repair.
I install a relay out the module to get the amps off the connection. You could also put this relay under the hood if want to, this would get the high amps out from under dash. Wiring diagram, pictures of module and info. Maurice
TRW module pictures by mgman75 - Photobucket

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
The SVO radiator fan works in 2 ways.

There is a TRW (or by now, an aftermarket replacement) controller under the dash near the column like Maurice has pointed out. It is a dual coil box.
During normal operation, the switch located in the coolant passage in the lower intake (points towards the driver's strut tower) will open and close the circuit. One of the coils in the controller will be used during that mode of operation.
The other is when the A/C is turned on. The other coil will be used during this mode. The fan will run constantly during A/C operation.

I am going to assume someone has bypassed the controller and hooked up a constant run circuit. This would eliminate the need for the switch in the lower intake.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SO if i replace with a twin fan set up using a thermostatic switch that comes with fan i take it, its better then out stock set up that at least on my car is shroudless.
thanks again guys

1 - 4 of 4 Posts