Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, 1st time post here for me! Im looking for some help with my brake conversion on my 85GT. The car is bone stock as the day it left the plant, lots of dry rotted bushings, sagging springs...I guess I just need some input on what other parts I need for this swap before I start tearing into it. Here is what I have:

94 GT front complete disc brake with spindles
94 GT rear 8.8 complete with disc brakes.
94 GT Booster and master cylinder.

I know I'll need 87-93 struts up forward and the 94/95 ball joints. Will stock springs work or should I upgrade them? The rear springs are sagging and need to be replaced regardless.

I've read thru some of the threads here and seems to be about 50 different ways to do a 5 lug disc brake conversion...looking for something tailored more to the parts I have.

Thanks for any and all help!

·
Registered
69 Posts
If you're going to use the 94 master cylinder and booster, you'll need to do a 3-2 port conversion. Since you have an '85, you'll need a brake line adapter in the driver side hose.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Use an '85 Lincoln towncar master cylinder instead of the SN. Its identical to the stock master cylinder, but has the correct bore and SAE ports instead of metric. One of the lines to the proportioning valve will need to have a larger tube nut installed though. Good luck installing the SN booster as well. I couldn't get one to fit without major surgery to the strut tower. I'm still using the stock booster without issues. The 3-2 port conversion isn't required on the '79-86 cars. Look around to see if you can find the proper hoses for swapping the SN brakes. I had a hard time finding any and ended up making my own. There may be some available now, or Maximum Motorsports may be able to help. You'll need the solid plug to disable the factory proportioning valve and also install an adjustable proportioning valve. You'll also need the two long rear parking brake cables. Latemodel Restoration has them I believe. PM me if you have any more specific questions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts