Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My mother used to have a old 86 GT. it had overheating problems so sadly we had to sell it. we checked the whole engine plus had it shippied off for testing all tests came back fine (they actually said for the original block, it looked almost new) the block had no cracks or anything. the b303 cam was checked, was fine. the fuse box and all wiring harnesses were checked, were fine. it ran on 87 octane and not 93 because it would get too hot. the tune was fine. everything on the car was fine, and it wasn't a cooling problem because the radiator was just replaced along with all hoses and fan. everything mechanical wise was fine that we could think of. its been awhile, but i remember some of the mods: BBK CAI, full edelbrock intake system along with throttle body, b303 cam, straight piped, thats all i can remember but the car was pushing around 300 hp, so there's probably more. i have a youtube video of it before we sold it if you guys want it :D . did anyone else have this problem, and how did you guys fix it. i am thinking about buying a foxbody when i get my drivers license, and need to know how to avoid this if i can. Thanks!

PS: sorry if i posted in wrong location, im new here and this is my first post.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I especially liked the "pushing 400hp part". Lol! Thanks for laughs buddy.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
The engine may have just been generating a little too much heat for the OEM radiator & fan. An extra 75 hp in those old 5.0's could do it. Not hard to overcome the capabilities of any stock cooling system. Then again, maybe the water pump was worn out.

·
Registered
1991 Ford Mustang LX
2,222 Posts
Are you sure it was overheating?? What were the symptoms?? The coolant temp sender or gauge could have been bad.Did you check those?? Another possible cause could have been the secondary ground.Its the ground strap located between the cylinder head (rear) & firewall.If this ground gets loose,corroded or disconnected,it will cause the temp gauge to climb,once you start turning electrical accessories (blower motor,windshield wipers,headlights,etc) on.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I agree. Did the radiator dump coolant into the overflow tank?
When an engine overheats the coolant begins to boil at that point
the pressure builds up in the system. When the pressure exceeds
19 pounds the rad cap relieves it. Is this happening?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you sure it was overheating?? What were the symptoms?? The coolant temp sender or gauge could have been bad.Did you check those?? Another possible cause could have been the secondary ground.Its the ground strap located between the cylinder head (rear) & firewall.If this ground gets loose,corroded or disconnected,it will cause the temp gauge to climb,once you start turning electrical accessories (blower motor,windshield wipers,headlights,etc) on.
yes it was overheating, replaced the temp guage and sender along with the secondary ground. we had to pull over every 5 min or so in traffic to let the car cool (Texas heat, deep sparkly purple colored car along with overheating car don't mix well at all! lol!)

The engine may have just been generating a little too much heat for the OEM radiator & fan. An extra 75 hp in those old 5.0's could do it. Not hard to overcome the capabilities of any stock cooling system. Then again, maybe the water pump was worn out.
We installed dual electric fans, did not help much :(

I agree. Did the radiator dump coolant into the overflow tank?
When an engine overheats the coolant begins to boil at that point
the pressure builds up in the system. When the pressure exceeds
19 pounds the rad cap relieves it. Is this happening?
Im not sure, i dont have the car anymore so i cant tell you, let me get back to you on this!

EDIT: forgot to add: thanks for all the help! much appreciated!

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Critter parts imbedded in the radiator fins?:|:wink:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts