Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i have a 1986 gt that ive had alot of problems with. The problem today is that it wont start... It was sitting for maybe 2 weeks and i went to start it ,it tries to turn over but it doesn't start fully. I got fresh gas and tried it and nothing. i tried starting fluid and it started for maybe 2 seconds but then it died. I'm thinking its not getting any fuel but I'm not sure. if anyone could point me in the right direction as to where to start, it would really help. thanks

·
Registered
230 Posts
Check for fuel pressure first, then if you have that check for injector pulse

·
Registered
797 Posts
An how about your battery...you said "it tries to turn over"..do you have a full charge to get that thing cranking?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Once your battery is fully charged and it's turning over properly try this. Turn the key on and listen for the fuel pump. It'll be a low to loud hum from the back and will only last for about 3 seconds. If you don't hear it make sure your inertia switch is pressed down. If that's ok you can sometimes get the fuel pump going by tapping on the bottom of the fuel tank with a rubber mallet while someone cycles the key on. Remember it only powers up for a couple seconds.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ya i have a new battery and its still doing the same thing so ill try the fuel pump today and see if its that.
thanks again guys

1 - 6 of 6 Posts