Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have just bought a 86 LX 5.0, manual with 130k miles. I am currently correcting suspension problems. Like excessive play in steering components, shocks, struts, brakes, the normal tightening up. I plan on lowering springs, and some sort of frame strengthening. As for the engine I am going to pull the engine and rebuild it to hold max N/A HP, maybe 450 for street strip use. This is where I would like to tap the well of knowledge from all the hardcore 5.0 people, :worship much respect. Here is a list of parts that I plan on using and if I miss something or it doesn't need to be done please tell me.

List in no order I will do it all at once:

-Fuel Pump, Electric, In-Tank, High-Volume, 255 lph, Stock Inlet/Outlet, Ford, Mustang

-Cam and Lifters, Hydraulic Roller Tappet, Advertised Duration 284/290, Lift .533/.544, Ford, 5.0L, Kit

-Brake Line Kit, Braided Stainless Steel, Ford Mustang, Kit

-Lowering Springs, Coil, Front and Rear, Black Powdercoated, Ford, Mustang, Set of 4

-Mass Air Conversion, Manual Transmission, EEC-IV, Meter, Hoses, Harness, Ford Mustang, Kit

-Fuel Injectors, EV1, 30 lbs./hr., 11-18 Ohms Impedance, 12 V Saturated Circuit Driver, Ford, Set of 8

-Hose Kit, Hi-Miler, Blue, Ford, Mustang, Kit

-Thermostat, 180 Degree, High-Flow, Copper/Brass, Each

-Installation Kit, for Headers, Rectangular Exhaust Ports, Gaskets, Bolts, Ford, Small Block, Kit

-Ignition Coil, Blaster Performance Replacement, E-Core, Square, Epoxy, Red, 48,000 V, Ford, TFI, Each

-Cap and Rotor, Red, Male/HEI, Brass Terminals, Ford/Laforza/Lincoln/Mercury, Kit

-Air Intake, Tube/Chrome, Filter/Red, Ford, Mustang, 5.0L, Kit

-Header Exhaust System, Steel, Full Length Headers, Aluminized Exhaust, Ford/Mercury, Mustang/Capri, Kit

-Head Combo, Rockers, Head Bolts, Intake, Camshaft, Pushrods, Timing Set, Valve Covers, Gaskets, Kit (Trick Flow Kit)

-Mass Air Flow Sensor Sample Tube, Aluminum, Red, Fuel-Injected, for 30 lbs./hr. Injectors, Ford, Mustang

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Sounds like you have everything named and should work great.

You should put a new
Flywheel
Aluminum clutch quadrant + adjustable cable + firewall adjuster
Subframe connectors
Aftermarket rear upper and lower control arms
Aluminum FMS driveshaft
Aftermarket ignition (MSD etc.) + larger spark plug wires
Custom tune would really get it going.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was trying to get some positive input on what I was trying to get out of it. I have been researching alot, but there is so much info. and opinions that it is hard to know your going in the right direction.

As for the flywheel I have read that I should have that ballanced with the rotating assembly from the machine shop.

Do you think I should go with a new distributor, like MSD, or will the stock be sufficient. I plan on using the MSD for the spark but wasent sure for the distributor?

And I will get a pro to tune on dyno when its finished.

What about the rear end and tranny?? I was planning on the drive shaft, and rebuilding the rearend because it seems like it has some play, but the transmission not sure. Maybe new one or something.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.