Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 1986 Mustang GT 5.0 with a 5 speed, hatchback. It has a fuel problem though. I ran it out of gas a few time's and now it sputters sometimes. When I press the gas it will try to die out. What's the issue here?

2nd Question. I believe this mustang has a short shifter. The shifter itself is bolted on to the rod but it grinds when I put it into 3rd gear. I don't know why but was hoping someone here could assist me.

3rd Question. It sound's like my fuel pump may be whining. It doe's this everytime the car run's. I don't think it's the rear end cuz it doe's not change sound's just always stay's the same.

·
Registered
897 Posts
For Sale said:
Hi, I have a 1986 Mustang GT 5.0 with a 5 speed, hatchback. It has a fuel problem though. I ran it out of gas a few time's and now it sputters sometimes. When I press the gas it will try to die out. What's the issue here?

2nd Question. I believe this mustang has a short shifter. The shifter itself is bolted on to the rod but it grinds when I put it into 3rd gear. I don't know why but was hoping someone here could assist me.

3rd Question. It sound's like my fuel pump may be whining. It doe's this everytime the car run's. I don't think it's the rear end cuz it doe's not change sound's just always stay's the same.
Questions 1 and 3 could be related. I would suggest doing a fuel filter replacement and a FP pressure check, the whining sound increase of the FP is indicative that it's starting to work overloaded (getting ready to fail).

On the 2nd. question, if the grinding problem is only with 3rd. gear, it might be a synchronizer issue in the tranny. LUK/GL

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.