Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Hopefully, I posted this in the correct area. If not, please let me know.

I have an '86 Mustang LX. I have high beams, but no low beams. When the high beams are on all 4 sealed beam units are on. I've replaced the dimmer/multi switch, headlight switch and it has made no difference. I've purchased a headlight relay, but can't seem to find it. According to autozone.com it is to be located to the left of the steering column under the dash. I just can't seem to find it. I had someone say to listen for the click when I turn the headlights on and find it that way. When I pull the headlight button I hear the click, but can't locate the relay. At times it sounds like it is to the left of the steering column. Other times it sounds like it is to the right or near the radio.

Anyone have any suggestions as to where the headlight relay is or any other suggestions as to what may be wrong.

Thanks for reading!
Danny

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just found the headlight relay and replaced it. No change. Still have no low beams, only high with all 4 sealed beams lit. Was told the low beam wire is red/black. On the outside sealed beams I found the red/black and used a test light. It doesn't light.

I've read on message boards to check the wiring connector that hooks into the headlight switch that they sometimes melt. It looks fine.

Any ideas what else to do at this point.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Are the seal beams OK on the low side!! They may be burnt out. Just saying. But for all 4 to be out is quite far and few between. The switch over comes from the dimmer switch Multi function. The bulk head connection can be rotted out or a bad connection at that point. Check the bulk head connector for corrosion on the high beam low beam wiring.:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TOM RENZO, Thanks for your reply!

I'm not the best troubleshooter in the world. I can normally get things fixed if I can get help with troubleshooting.

That being said, I'm assuming the bulk head is where all the wiring comes thru the firewall. Is there some kind of connector? I've looked and all I can see is a bunch of wires, I assume wrapped in some kind of black tape coming thru the firewall at the upper driver side of the firewall. I don't see anything that looks rotted out or anything that looks like a connector.

Any further ideas in plain elementary english are appreciated.

Just a little background on the problem. For a year or more once in a while when I would be driving at night and dim the lights they would go completely off. I would hit the dimmer switch for brights and right back to dims and the dims would come on. At the very end I would turn the lights on and they wouldn't come on. I would hit the dimmer for brights and back to dims and they would come on. Then all of a sudden hitting the dimmer switch wouldn't work.

Thanks again,
Danny

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Did you change the DIMMER SWITCH???:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I have replaced the dimmer/multi function switch, headlight switch and headlight relay. Actually, I replaced the dimmer/multi function switch and when it didn't help I replaced it again thinking the 1st one might be faulty.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts