Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my rear end fill plug is rounded out someone said there a 3/16 bolt on the passenger side i see something round and long on top don't look like any kind of bolt and how will the fluid make it down too the gears sorry never worked on rear ends don't have 100 dollars to rear cover with fill plug on it please help thanks

J

·
0 Posts
You've probably found the vent on top of the differential (the round thing). It is possible to fill through the vent though you need to carefully measure the amount that you're adding and it will take a LONG time since it's a thin passage. Heating up the new fluid can help it go more quickly. If you have access to a welder you could weld something onto the stripped plug and try to replace it or try to drill it out but that sounds like a p.i.t.a.

You can also add a "transmission pan drain plug kit" to your own differential cover. This one is bolt-on and you'd just have to drill a hole in your cover and make sure you locate it where it doesn't interfere with any moving parts (and it's less than $8).

Amazon.com: Spectre 5449 Transmission Pan Drain Plug Kit: Automotive

J

·
0 Posts
On mine (8.8) it threads in, I think it was a 10mm box-end wrench that I used.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea found it thanks it was a 9/16 filled it yesterday i put 2qt in is that how much you put in when i drained it in pan there was only 2qt that drained i seen where people says it takes 2.8 qt and others that say 4.8 qt i put in what i took out don't think the rear end ever leaked so how much gear oil do you use thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts