Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an 85 Mustang Foxbody with an '86 5.0 GT V8, and it's giving me some serious trouble in the starting/idling department.

When I first start it (temperature is usually around 0 Degrees C), it spins endlessly, coughs, sputters, and will eventually turn over, only to stall out and die repeatedly. I have to hold the idle at around 2800 just to keep it from dying. If I let go of the pedal, it simply clunks to a stop.

After about 5-7 minutes, it warms up and runs fairly civilized, but if I rev/am driving higher than 3 grand, and then let off the gas (say, when coming to a light or stop sign) the engine (even when in normal temp range) will simply stall out on me. The same happens when starting off in first, or reverse (though this is likely because I have 2.73's)

I sprayed some carb cleaner in the carb, but haven't tested it out yet, I need to let it get cold first. (Though, from a few rev tests, it doesn't seem to stall as frequently when it's warm)

I'm also having issues with the choke, because it doesn't close fully, even when totally cold. I've tried forcing it, but it actually seems to be jammed at around 45 degrees open.

Additional info: This car is heavily modified, but not by me. I bought it off a guy who was working on it before he went to join the Army, therefore if you ask me specifics on carb type and such, I won't be able to give numbers and names, only pictures.

What are some of my options and how do I fix this?

·
Registered
270 Posts
How many miles are on the car? How many miles are on the engine? What kind of carb is on the car now? What sized carb is on the car now? Is the choke manuel or automatic? You say the choke won't close....but will it open fully? LUK

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How many miles are on the car? How many miles are on the engine? What kind of carb is on the car now? What sized carb is on the car now? Is the choke manuel or automatic? You say the choke won't close....but will it open fully? LUK
The car has about 322,000k, the engine....pff I have no clue.

The Carb is a Motorcraft 41_ _ Series, Choke is automatic, it opens (well, mostly, it's just about totally vertical when the car is running hot)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Try this on the choke......let the temperature get down to 30 or so. On the passenger side of your carb you will see a black cover that is held in place by three screws. (see arrow in attachment) This holds the choke spring. Loosen the three screws enough to where the spring cover will rotate. As you rotate the cover, the choke should open and close. Rotate this until the choke closes completely and then tighten the three screws. Make sure its 30-35 degrees ambient temperature with a cold engine and only turn the spring cover just enough to close the choke completely. Try this. Lemme know.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts