Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so for the past year or so when i start my engine cold it sits at about 1200 to 1500 rpm's for 5 sec or so and then drops to 700 rpm's and then that kills it almost everytime. untill the engine warms up it will most likely die or drive really ruff. it used to stay at high rpm's for a couple min till it warmed up enough. I hear it could be a vacumm line. or iv also heard it could be the IAC valve going bad. any ideas? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I guess we can help out an 87 Mustang owner in a 66-73 section. Did you check for any vacuum leaks?

·
Registered
831 Posts
As SDMustangRider pointed out, a vacuum leak is the likely culprit. If that turns out to not be it, the IAC does get dirty after so many years and may require some TLC or replacement.

Search on the forum for the method to pull the error codes from your computer. This will give you a direction to go.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sorry for posting in the wrong forum. it was late last night. but ill check for more vacuum leaks and try cleaning the iac valve. thanks.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
No worries stang. Pretty much any year is similar or any car for this problem, except the newer year cars have an ecu. You don't have a check engine light on do you like Bradley said? It's definitely not an OBDII so I believe your ecu has the blinking lights on??

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Turns out is was a vacuum leak. I must have missed one. there is a lot of them on this engine. Thanks again for the advice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts