Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am back from vacation and gathering more intel for my car. It is one of few dead stock (or real close to it) 5.0's out there. The car is an LX 5-speed.

The car will be an 8 month driver every year. It will see mainly hwy. Performance is important, but so is cost. I have no smog checks here so I am going to run an off-road exhaust.

If you had a maximum budget of $500 for the H-pipe and Cat back, what would you recommend that meets the following criteria:

1. Cost-I would like to come in under $400 if possible
2. Not too loud, but louder than stock is fine.
3. Prefer an X pipe, but for a stocker, I think either is fine.
4. Performance improvements are good. I'd like to go faster of course
5. Proper and easy fitment is needed-I can do exhaust-I just don't want to.

Brand isn't important to me necessarily. I am happy to buy a basic kit without a big name?

So meeting the above criteria, what would you recommend? I promise that I did do several searches, but didn't come up with anything that worked:nogrinner

Thank you for your advice.

ROB

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
Ebay is always the best place to look for parts on a budget, you can score some real deals, I have literally built my 95 with Ebay parts, both new and used and saved a fortune

·
Registered
369 Posts
STAY AWAY FROM PYPES PRODUCTS!!!! They sound great but the fit is horribale. SummitRacing has a great FlowMaster Kit that sounds awesome. BBK makes a nice fitting x pipe, so does Mac.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
The fit isn't too horrible on Pypes. One side was about an inch too long to fit the way I wanted it to on mine. Spent all of a few bucks for a pipe cutter, removed an inch, and all is well. Took 2 minutes of my time.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
If you wanna do it cheap then look into a set of headers, X pipe of your choice and just swap out the mufflers to the sound you like best. That way you will get the power from the headers and off road pipe and the sound from different mufflers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is a joke about the car that I have. The PO is said to be the only guy around that shows up at the dealer with a Sawzall. One guy signs the papers, while another removes the exhaust in the parking lot.

This car had been sitting for a long time. I got it started, and it roared. I was thinking there is no way that they removed the exhaust off of it........they never drove it for more than a few miles.

Guess what! Right behind the o2 sensors there was fresh sawzall marks. They cut half the X-pipe off and all of the remainder was gone. I will see what I can come up with off of CL before I get too excited.

I did notice some pretty good deals on Summit for Dynomax stuff. Also, the FLowmaster 2-chamber system wasn't too expensive.

Is the drone that bad with a 5-speed and 2.73's?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts