Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 1990 5.0 LX, and I'm wondering if anyone can suggest some sort of ram air intake through the hood. Cervinis makes two "hood and kit" products, but they look a bit odd in my opinion. I'm still considering the "Stormin Norman" kit, because they said that it's basically the same as their other kit, except with a little cowl induction at the back. I've seen ram air hoods and separate scoops, but does that mean that I'd have to fabricate something that'll direct the air into the intake? I've always thought that those huge scoops are for carburated engines. Anyway, I'm a bit new to all of this stuff. I researched a bit about cowl induction, but it appears that no one really knows how it works.:tongue I've seen a couple different responses along the lines of the engine bringing in colder air and the cowl working as a vacuum. Anywho, I really like the idea of ram air, but I'd rather not get the March thinggy.

·
Registered
398 Posts
if you don't plan on adding a power adder.....the cervini's would be an awesome way to go.......if you plan on poweradding down the road, just buy a cold air kit for now.......

hotwheels of insanemustangs.com

·
Registered
551 Posts
As far as ram air through the hood, as far as I know, you're basically looking at Cervinis or maybe this
I was considering the shaker, but I'm not sure how it'd work with the cars lines, and I havent been able to find a wider angle picture yet. Not to mention that its just adding more kinks and turns to the induction track.

And yes, big hood scoops are notmally for carbed cars, or carbed with a roots blower.
Cowl induction will get cooler air under there, but if youre using the stock air box, or a cai kit, you won't be using that air for induction anyway. IIRC one of the other benefits of the cowl setup is that it reduces "lift" under the front end at speed, basically letting the air pressure underhood out to rejoin the airflow over the car.

At least the march kit is low profile, if you had a GT, you could always take out the fogs and use the pass side hole for the ram. The only other thing I could think of would be to build a DIY ram kit, and have it just out of sight under the fender, peeked out into the slipstream. :?:

·
Registered
248 Posts
I want the shaker soo bad that I can hardly stand it, and I like how cervini's stuff looks and works also, but being as im not rich, and I would rather spend my $600 on a nitrous kit, I decided to skip on the shaker, and on the cervini's ram air systems, and go with the march, which I am very satisfied with.

·
Registered
530 Posts
funkbuster said:
I decided to skip on the shaker, and on the cervini's ram air systems, and go with the march, which I am very satisfied with.
Just be careful on flooded streets with that March ram air setup. If you get in deep enough water up front, you might hydraulic the motor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I forgot about those shaker scoops. The only problem with that one is that it costs just as much as a whole hood, and requires cutting. :so I'm not really expecting to turbo or supercharge it anytime soon. I guess cold air wouldn't be too bad for now as they're not all that expensive. I'm kinda staying away from the March kit because of the whole flooding situation. I was telling my dad about all the mods I want to do to the 5.0, and then he told me that we should get the engine rebuilt before we do anything. It's got a bit over 190,000 miles on it, but I think it's running pretty good. I don't feel like dropping $1,500 for something like that. We might as well get the 351 Windsor rebuilt and drop that in instead...

·
Registered
551 Posts
Actually, now that I think about it, it is kinda surprising that the march kit doesent have some kind of safety provision against that :sterb:

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
Im not sure if they still exist but there used to be a company called Banshee that made a shaker ram air kit that required you to cut a hole in your hood. It was a pretty nice kit but the only part that sucked about it is onyl worked on the factory upper intake. I think they are out of business though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.