Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The aternator charges fine when running, but if the car sits for a few days, the battery will drain completely.

The car is seldomly driven and considered a weekend cruiser at most, so the battery is disconnected and holds a charge. It went from last October until this June and when the battery was connected, it started up fine. Drove it the weekend and left it connected and then Thursday...it was dead.

The main question is the yellow/white wire coming from the alternator. My understanding from the diagrahm is that this wire feeds the light on the dashboard telling you if there is a alternater issue.

This wire is currently going straight to the hot post on the starter relay and I am thinking this is causing the issue somehow. This wire does not appear to be connected correctly.

Where should this yellow/white wire connect and do you know if this would create a drain on the system??

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
The aternator charges fine when running, but if the car sits for a few days, the battery will drain completely.

The car is seldomly driven and considered a weekend cruiser at most, so the battery is disconnected and holds a charge. It went from last October until this June and when the battery was connected, it started up fine. Drove it the weekend and left it connected and then Thursday...it was dead.

The main question is the yellow/white wire coming from the alternator. My understanding from the diagrahm is that this wire feeds the light on the dashboard telling you if there is a alternater issue.

This wire is currently going straight to the hot post on the starter relay and I am thinking this is causing the issue somehow. This wire does not appear to be connected correctly.

Where should this yellow/white wire connect and do you know if this would create a drain on the system??

Thanks in advance!
I strongly suggest having your battery tested (AutoZone does it for free) before doing anything else.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
I had this same issue with mine a little while back.

make sure your battery is fully charged. Unplug the 2 wire plugs from the alternator and let your car is for a few days. Plus everything back in a see if it starts. If it starts just fine its an issue with your alternator. If it doesnt your battery is junk or you have a slow drain from somewhere.

I ended up installing a new alternator from PA performance and have had no issues at all now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply, but not the problem.

The main question is the wiring issue and the yellow wire in particular. Where should if it go and will it cause the drain I am experiencing if hooked up the way it is.

Mechanically sound but electrically challenged.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the battery is good, but help me understand the thinking behind unplugging the alternater and leaving the battery hooked up? That's actually an interesting idea...let me make sure I understand your thinking....
if the battery is draining through the wiring of the alternator (yellow wire), then unplugged (alternator) it should not drain. very good idea...Thanks.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I had the same problems on my 89 until i replaced the battery and cable wires then it stopped. Also check all your ground wires and make sure they are connected good.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Hooray! somebody understood my ramblings. :bigthumbsup

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.