Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Just bought an 88. Cowl hood, trick flow intake, and BBK cold air induction. Bought it cheap at 3700, has a few issues. The guy told me I could manually take the top up and down but it didn't work by the motor. He said the motor kicks on but the top doesn't move so maybe it's "off track". These aren't even on a track are they? I do hear the motor come on. I heard what almost sounds like a fluid sound so shut the switch off. I've read on some other threads how I have to take the back seats out to get to this pump. I'm thinking it just doesn't need filled with fluid based on the noise I heard. Any input would be appreciated. I'm not sure how to get the seats out and if I can even get to the pump how to find one and replace it. HELP!

Thanks
Alan

·
Registered
94 Posts
if its low on fluid it would lift but would pause for a sec or 3.
if the motor is going out most of them that ive heard dont run or are extreme louder than usual. but if fluid is low they have swapped something out and didnt refill or seals in cylinders are bad it would not lift well and may suck in air.

the pump has rubber mounts esay to remove by pulling up on pump. unhook ground from chassis and pull harness connector.
little prying helps too. be sure to check t fittings and all hoses.facing the passenger side is a rubber plug work it out and fill while hold pump on its side. after all fixes have been made or just to fill. then reinstall plug and hit the button let it pump through.

·
Registered
94 Posts
there are rubber o rings where the hoses connect to the cylinders towards bottom. if its leaking there that may be the issue.

look at the top of cylinders to check seals for the ram/shaft of cylinder if the dirt is dry(if its not a show car you can tell by the dirt) lol the seals are fine if its wet and dust is sticking everywhere they are bad and cylinders need replaced.

hope this helps all this info is from trial and error not a book so dont qoute me on anything. works for me

pump takes auto trans fluid thats what ive always used

·
Registered
63 Posts
Get the Ford Convertible Manual

The extra little Ford Vert manual tells how everything works for the top and how to replace the seals/adjust.

The real Ford Service Manual for your year will also have a good section in the back.
Step by step How to Do it all.

Of course, none of this is in the little auto shop manuals, Chilton's etc.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Remove the backseat. The bottom pulls out by pushing it towards the trunk with knees and pulling up. The seat back has a metric bolt on each lower side, hard to see, use a flashlight and extension. I subscribed to alldatadiy for ten bucks last year. It had lots of schematics and diagrams but only for the car I paid for. latemodelrestoration has a convertible top book but keep looking on the interweb, youtube, etc.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The extra little Ford Vert manual tells how everything works for the top and how to replace the seals/adjust.

The real Ford Service Manual for your year will also have a good section in the back.
Step by step How to Do it all.

Of course, none of this is in the little auto shop manuals, Chilton's etc.
Thanks Roger. Where would I find this handy dandy sounding manual? Sounds like what I need!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Remove the backseat. The bottom pulls out by pushing it towards the trunk with knees and pulling up. The seat back has a metric bolt on each lower side, hard to see, use a flashlight and extension. I subscribed to alldatadiy for ten bucks last year. It had lots of schematics and diagrams but only for the car I paid for. latemodelrestoration has a convertible top book but keep looking on the interweb, youtube, etc.
Thanks. Your car looks exactly like mine, except mine has a spoiler on the trunk lid and some upgrades under the hood. I have two wires coming up through my trunk connected to nothing. Was there at one time some sort of brake or back up light there? I would love to see more pictures of your car so I can see what this car looked like stock. [email protected] gmail.com if you could email me some.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts