Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i know this topic is up here somewhere but im having troubles finding answers. Heres my problem. I didnt notice battery draining with lights and fan off, but ive driven it twice at night, lights and fan on, battery completely died, needle all the way in the red dash was completely dim, tach was even going completly dim ehen i stepped on brakes. So i changed battery and alternator, still on the 75amp, battery is in trunk, but i think a 75 amp would at least charge with just lights on, which was the case, and it didnt... Batt completely died again after full charge, drove for about an hour. I really have no clue what the problem is bit its pissin me off... Anyone have any ideas? Thanks alot

·
Registered
788 Posts
Stating the obvious, I know, but something is draining your battery. I have an uncanny knack for gathering the obvious...:yelpleased:

Anyway, the point is you tackled the first two possible culprits of alternator and battery. Given your battery location, I'd say there's a short in the wiring to your battery, causing it to drain. So, check your battery wiring.

·
Registered
263 Posts
i can almost grantee you have a wire touching something it shouldn't be...

here is the good news if you still want to drive the car around simply disconnect the battery whenever you stop or install a battery kill-switch that way the car will never be drained

·
Registered
788 Posts
I was going to say, my kid wired in (or had wired in) an amp and sub, maybe some speakers, I don't know...then all of a sudden he had issues with his battery dying. He didn't believe there was a short somewhere, after all his buddies are stand up guys...

In any event, there rested the problem. A short in the wiring causing the huge headache.

I only mention this because of the trunk mounted battery...that has to be problem, or at least the obvious thing to check.

Then move on...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Okay guys heres the weirdest **** i ever seen, okay so last time i drove ot was sunday night, parked it with the dead batt, left it sitting ti tonight couple buddies came to look at it before i go to work and the thing starts and the battery was charged again??? Nobody touched ot!! Lights werent dim or anything... Wtf right anyone have any clue on this thing or is it haunted lol, paranormal mustang activity or what

Also i dont know if this helps after driving it home with it dead i noticed an odd smell, idk of that would have anything to do with it?

·
Registered
788 Posts
A battery will charge itself as long as it isn't completely dead.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well thats new to me lol, so its mostly likely (hopefully) just a short somewhere in the wiring of the battery from trunk to engine?!

·
Registered
788 Posts
That's my guess...

·
Registered
225 Posts
Just a passing observation...

How exactly do you have the battery grounded? Since it's relocated to the trunk, the ground is even more important now than ever before. If you have a bad ground, it could be heating up, introducing a lot of resistance (and possibly burning insulation, hence the smell). Of course, once it cools down... problem solved!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ita grounded to the bolt on the trunk hook latch thing, but the smell is like coming from in the middle of car somewhere when i opened trunk nothin, idfk, this car seems like more bad then good :'(

·
Registered
225 Posts
That is a really poor ground location. You need a thick ground run back to the front of the car from the battery. Maybe a 2ga or 0ga ground line. There are too many separations in the body and frame rails to promote good electrical flow.

·
Registered
191 Posts
If the body and frame rails are poor locations where would you suggest all the way back there?

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
Attach the new ground wire to all points as the negative wire did when the battery was mounted up in engine bay.On block (stud at bottom right of water pump area),front right radiator support ground wires.etc. You might want to install a terminal block for the larger ground wire to terminate near old battery location and then run cables to existing engine bay ground points.A manual may be usefull to find all ground points.Basically connect the wiring back as it was as if the new negative terminal block was the negative terminal of the battery when it was in engine bay.Hope you understand this.You just cant expect the body connections and weld points to flow current back to engine bay area as well as a good ground cable.Good Luck

·
Registered
212 Posts
Listen to hockeyman. With the battery that far away in the trunk your grounds need to be a lot beefier than stock and you need a ground ran from the battery to under the hood.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the input guys, i found the problem, was a cut wire under the hood attached to the starter relay? I think, its on right side strut tower and has a few wires on it being held by a bolt, but anyways that fixed charging problem will change that ground next year probably when i get a bigger alternator. Check my other sad thread about me hitting a curb and tell me if you have any idea on that problem...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OMFG!!! Im gonna post this on both of my threads.. K so charging problem is fixed, but i drove it today, i was scared to shut it off in fear of having to push start again, but i had to know, so i put it in neutral and let it coast and turned er off.. And wtf it wouldnt start battery light came on, poped clutch in 2nd gear and started driving and it did that weird rpm fall too stall again, but then i kept em up for a bit while at lights, (braking with left foot is weird) and it idled okay for the most part after that.. But the thing is the batt level is at the long tick and the one below it with heat and lights on while driving.. And then when i turned it off it went down a tick or 2 i dont understand... I thought the problem was fixed :( :'( :eek:hknow :eek:mg: :weeps , i think i know why that guy was selling it now ... Fuckin douche

·
Registered
225 Posts
Do the grounds like Hockeyman suggested. Run a fat cable back to the engine bay and get a direct connection from battery to block as well as battery to chassis where the original grounds were. Alternatively, put the battery back in front.

Voltage swings will cause all kinds of crazy ****.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If u see my dp its a custom engine bay that the guy did for a cleaner look, so puttin the battery back upfront is kinda out of the question, but ill do those grounds and what not, but its getting cold, my insurance says i gotta get an imobilzier then im parkin it till next year!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts