Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so for some background, I was replacing the header gasket because the original had finally blew out. While getting the headers off I removed each of the spark plugs, that were in the way. (5,6,7) I marked each one to make sure I wouldn't confuse them. Number 7 gave me a little trouble, but popped off eventually. So. New gasket is in place all bolts tightened into place along with the dipstick back in place I start the car and i hear a ticking noise. It almost sounds like electricity i'm not sure how else to explain it. I checked each plug and all of them were on securely and in the right place. The car doesn't seem to be missing or stuttering, but when I tried to identify the noise there was smoke. The smoke could be either some left over PB I used to undo a header bolt on the exhaust or an electrical fire...

How do I tell if spark is jumping to another ground?
Also will the PB burn off eventually?

Any advice or answers welcome.
-Nooby mechanic who might not make it to work tomorrow

·
Registered
482 Posts
The best way is to run the car in the dark. If there's any arcing you'll see it. Make sure that the plug boots are connected all the way on the plugs. I know some are a biatch to get, specially with headers, but a weak connection will still ignite, but not properly and COULD arc.
That **** will burn off eventually also, but it might tarnish the headers while doing so.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts