Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
I've never put anything in the gas. Do you know how the stuff works or is it just magic?
It's a chemical reaction to keep the molecules from reacting with air over time. It's magic:headscratch:. All I know is it does work. I've been storing motorcycles during the cold season for almost 40 years. I learned the hard way that gasoline turns to a varnish like substance as some of the chemicals evaporate. Carb jets and needles plug up and require a rebuild. Stabil keeps it from happening. I just started my bike for the first time in 4 months and it fired up with ONE KICK. I use Stabil in the stang, all 4 of my bikes, lawnmower, snow blower, weed wacker and any thing else that has gasoline. Actually, now when I buy gas for the mower and other small engines, I just mix Stabil right in the gas can. By the way, pump gas can go bad within 30 days.
The water you saw was condensation in the exhaust. Your short drive warmed it enough to form the condensation, but not enough to dry it out. This is common to all cars in colder, damper climates.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Sorry, I got to talking Stabil and didn't offer any advice. The bad gas has to go. Mixing higher octane will help some, but DO NOT TUNE with old gas in the tank. Burn it off or drain it. I would also recommend fuel injecter cleaner run through the system as well. That will disolve any varnish that formed in the tank and is now flowing through the rest of the fuel system. After this tank is gone, buy 1/4 tank and use the fuel injecter cleaner. That stuff works well and 1/4 tank will clean averything out.

·
Registered
259 Posts
One thing while we're talking Stabil. It doesn't work on old gas. You need to add it when the gas is fresh. Once it starts to varnish, Stabil does no good. That's when I'd use Seafoam.
+1. It's very good preventative maintenance if you won't use a tank of gas for a while, but does no good after the gas is old.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.