Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
I would think it would change the physical properties of the gas by keeping the byproducts from the gas' evaporation in a dissolved or combustible state.

Since gas is pumped from the ground, it must be distilled and purified. While the end product IS very pure, traces of petroleum-related "gunk" will still remain in the product. Since the main constituent of gas is volatile, it will evaporate fairly quickly if given the chance. As this happens, the I would assume the proportion of the gunk in the gas raises since it stays at roughly the same amount in the tank while the amount of gas lessens from evaporation.

When this is burned, it would create more deposits since the actual gas burns quite easily compared to the gunk in the conditions of an engine.

My guess would be that stabil would work by dissolving and forming an azeotrope with the gunk where it can be carried away in the exhaust with much more ease than if the stabil wasn't present.
Are you related to Mr. Wizard?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Are you related to Mr. Wizard?
I'm kinda embarrassed, but I had to Wikipedia who that was :hihi: (yeah, yeah, yeah: "kids these days" and all that kind of stuff).

But no, I'm not related (plus he would be either my great or great-great grandfather...:headscratch:). Bill Nye is the next on my "People to Check for in my Family Tree" list, though :scratchchin

·
Registered
259 Posts
One thing while we're talking Stabil. It doesn't work on old gas. You need to add it when the gas is fresh. Once it starts to varnish, Stabil does no good. That's when I'd use Seafoam.
+1. It's very good preventative maintenance if you won't use a tank of gas for a while, but does no good after the gas is old.

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
Drain it. When I switched from 87 to 93 i used a drill pump and pumped all of my gas into my F-150 and then filled the GT up with nice fresh 93 shell. Why add more non gas products.
I hope you get it running to it's full potential.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,863 Posts
Drain it. When I switched from 87 to 93 i used a drill pump and pumped all of my gas into my F-150 and then filled the GT up with nice fresh 93 shell. Why add more non gas products.
I hope you get it running to it's full potential.
Tough to drain a two side tank completely without removing it.

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
Tough to drain a two side tank completely without removing it.
I kept poking the hose around until I lost suction but at least I gave it a good try. I forgot about the split tank thanks for reminding me. Maybe I was drunk while I was doing it. "Yea that's the Ticket."

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.