Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 9" Ford rear end assembly I took out of my 67 Mustang . It is sitting on jack stands. (this has 10" drum brakes if it matters)
I pulled the 31 spline axles keeping track of which one came out of each side. I pulled the 5:13 pig and popped in a 3:50 trac lock pig that came from a van. I test fitted the axles in the 3:50 pig before installing it.
Now we get to the problem... The axles will not go in all the way. One side is about 1/8" shy from seating and the other side is about 1/4" or a tad more. The 5:13 I removed has a Detroit locker in it. Is it possible a Trac lock rear end needs shorter axles than a Detroit Locker?
I thought maybe I needed to turn the clutches to allow the axles to seat. I put a bar on one axle and another bar on the other. I can turn the axles against the clutches with some effort. I have been turning against the clutches while beating on the axle. Neither will go in further.
Please list all possible senarios so I can try them. This doesn't make any sence. I've swapped rear ends dozens of times and never ran into this before.
I'm stumped...

Danforfd1

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.