Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having the 9 inch housing I picked up cut down this weekend to fit into my 1966 coup. I'm hyaving problems finding complete axle kits that include the axles, studs, and bearings. Any suggestions? Also I'm looking to do the ultrastang lincoln mark VII rear brakes, with the front granada swap. What kind of brake master cylinder should I use? And if anyone has this combo some feedback on how they mesh and install tips would be great!!

·
Registered
517 Posts
why not just go with a 8.8?? easy to find with axels and brake set up off of any mustang, crown vic, explorer, etc and their cheap as hell

·
Registered
461 Posts
I'm also looking for a new rear end for my 66 coupe and can't find a used 9 inch housing myself. Did you pick up one that is longer than spec and are cutting it down? I had seen a TON of 8.8's complete, with or without gears, lockers or not, discs or not, etc. on craigslist (Los Angeles area) and overlooked them because I had my heart set on a 9 inch. So you may want to consider an 8.8 before you have your housing chopped down. More of my research is leaning me toward an 8.8, since I won't be putting a ton of HP or torque through mine. I did also look at the Currie website for a new one, but a $3,000+ pricetag is out of my league.

Question for you... were you able to determine the stock length on a 66 rearend? I found a reference saying it's 57.25 inches flange to flange, So I'm wondering, are we stuck to that length?... are the ones from crown vics and such that AM mentioned compatible with the 66 without mods, or would you know what Ford rearends I could pluck from other cars without mods?

On your Granada swap, I also have a front disc conversion that I THOUGHT were Granada, turned out to be Versaille spindles. They are almost identical except for the knuckle for the lower ball joint. I assume you may have already sorted that out, but just in case, beware... I ran into all sorts of problems having to order bushings to fit the LBJ shaft into the spindle. I got the "Oops I guess I got you Versaille spindles instead..." kit. I was also told that the steering geometry could be negatively affected from using these conversions.

I wish I knew what type of master cylinder I have in there, but I inherited it along with a new aftermarket brake booster from the previous owner who had no recollection what brand it was. I've already installed it and am running into a spongy brake (see my other posts if you would like more info). I'll be finding out if anything else was an issue by tomorrow afternoon.

Looks like were in a similar boat, hope your swaps go smoothly. Take care.

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
Talk to Quick Performance INC. they have always taken care of me for any rear end part i could think of.The problem with a 8.8 is its probably got 150k on it so needs a rebuild and its a c clip axle those are the first thing to break.A 9 inch is a lot stronger and never have to worry about upping the power later on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts