Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm just wondering what kinda work I'd be looking at installing a 9 inch rear end outa a 79 bronco and putting it in my 89lx. I know its not just bolt in so anything you guys can tell me will be great thanks

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Is the rear end out of the Bronco centered. Some are not, and thats a problem. Then the rear end might not be the same length. Which means you would have to have the axle tubes cut down to fit under the mustang. Plus new axles.

Totally not a bolt on deal here. And unless you are making gob of power, a well built 8.8 will do just fine. There are guys running deep 9s and faster on an 8.8. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So if I just rebuild my 8.8 I should be tottaly fine becuase I'm not looking att numbers like that

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
An 8.8 31 spine setup would do just fine. Some of the ford explorers have an 8.8 31 spline carrier. One of those and some 31 spline axles on your old housing would do great. And cheaper. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
460 Posts
If you are shooting for somewhere in the 12's you could just use the stock rear end. I know a few guys that are running in the low 11's high 10's still on the stock rear end. All they have done to theirs are gears and some use a locker. They all do it on drag radials, if you use slicks it is a different story i believe that stock axels will only hold up to around 400hp with slicks and a sticky launch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.