Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i can get some gt40p heads. do i need to do anything before i put them on or will they even go on.. i have a b cam. i am looking at 1.7rr but if not i will put 1.6.. need help with that.. or should i save my money and get trickflow, afr, or dart heads..

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
you can bolt em right to the block no problems, but if you want more power, you might as well save up for better heads

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
i can get some gt40p heads. do i need to do anything before i put them on or will they even go on.. i have a b cam. i am looking at 1.7rr but if not i will put 1.6.. need help with that.. or should i save my money and get trickflow, afr, or dart heads..
The GT40 heads are direct bolt ons. With the right intake and cam you can get anywhere from 240-270RWHP. Depending on your trans and other factors. For the price you pay for them they are a great upgrade from the stock crappy heads.

At Stangnet.com there is actually a "group" for the 300RWHP GT40 head setups. So there are enough people out there that are getting impressive numbers with that setup.

But if you want to really make some power then save up for some good aftermarket aluminum heads. You can get more timing out of them, they weigh half as much as iron heads, and the aftermarket heads flow much better than the GT40 style heads with more potential also.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
i have a t5, hedmen headers, cold air intake, no smog pump, no ac, no egr.
it doesnt really matter what you have, it matters what you want. if you want a mild setup with 225-260 rwhp, then go with the gt40p's. if you want to make more power, then ditch the alphabet cam and buy better aluminum heads. gt40p's are fine for mild power, but dont expect to make 11 second passes with them coupled witth an alpha cam

·
Registered
277 Posts
iv been wonderin about a cam lately as well. i see a lot of people using b,e,f, and x303 cams. whats a good cam to use in a 5.0 that will give some good power if not the alphabets?

·
Registered
154 Posts
There's nothing wrong with P heads. I've got some and love them. I'm running a stock cam with 1.7 Cobra rockers. From what I understand, I can't put even an E cam in without switching back to 1.6 rockers. But I got mine for 225 bucks and they had 67,000 miles on them. I put them on straight, didn't even change the valve springs. My old MAC headers worked OK with them, I just put a shorty plug in cylinder 7 and plug wires for an 89 Blazer on it.

At the same time I put an Explorer lower intake with a Downs Ford upper, Explorer 65mm TB, 65mm EGR, and 24lb. injectors. I like the combo, it pulls hard up top. My only regret is not changing valve springs.

Oh, and my block has 182,000 miles.......that's HARD miles. It runs great.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what i am really wanting to do is get better flowing heads and intake so i can slap a turbo on there.. i have the turbo just dont want to have stock intake and heads. i am prob going to get the gt40p heads and a bbk intake.. i just wondering if they was worth it or not.. or if it will comlpy with my 480 lift cam and if i needed to stay with my 1.6rr or can i go 1.7's

·
Registered
154 Posts
This link below may help you find what you're looking for. This has flow data from a number of different heads. The P heads get a bad rap for some reason on these boards. But if you look, they flow better than the regular GT40's in most areas despite have a smaller exhaust valve. I love them, and I think they would hold up great to a turbo setup. If you are planning to go turbo, I personally wouldn't use aluminum heads because of the added heat. But that's just my opinion......take it for what it's worth.

Board Navigation

Really, if you compare it to the GT-40X heads flow numbers, I don't see why a little work on the P heads won't get flow numbers like an X head.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.