Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok my problem is when i turn on my car my volt gauge is in the middle were the m is at then i turn on my ac and it goes like to 10 volts and with my ac off and headlights on it goes like to 12 volts and my alternator gets relley hot i already replaced it twice and sitll gets hot this started to happen when i fixed my ac with ac on i get low volts and car get hot over 230 with ac off volts are normal and run cool around 190deg please help:worship

·
Registered
412 Posts
The volts are gonna drop and temp is gonna rise at idle when the ac is on. I would expect it to cool down and volts to increase if cruising. The alt is gonna be hot from the proximity to the upper radiator hose, but not excessive though. You should be able to touch it without too much pain. How hot is it? Do you have any mods such as underdrive pulleys? List all of them for us and more detail about what driving conditions this is happening at. Check all of your cables,wires and grounds that are invovled in the charging system. Have you had the charging system checked at the parts store? It's free. Could save ya some time and money by isolating the problem for you.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Alt should put out close to 14v. You need to make sure the 14v also makes it to the battery. If it doesnt clean your grounds and maybe add another. If alt doesnt put out close to 14v then it needs replaced as long as you dont have belt slip or underives. If you have UD's get rid of them. If that doesnt do it replace the cables. You also need to check for 12v at the green wire with the key on. Also if you have added anything to the car electrical you need to run a 3G alt.

·
Registered
145 Posts
first thing that i can say is make sure your grounded WELL!! things get screwy without proper grounding they will function but not well make sure your grounded from the block to the chassi,motor mounts are rubber so they dont groung anything,make sure ur grounded from the battery to the chassi,and i always put a ground from the batt to the block as well, there is no such thing as "over-grounding" 12 volt systems are delicate. and make sure you have a good size groung as well. like i said that may not be the problem but first thing that came to my mind:smoke:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts