Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a month ago I installed a new JLT Cold Air Intake and 91 Octane Tune (diablosport, not SCT) and so far - i cannot tell any difference between running that or the stock airbox without a tune. What's going on? I keep reading posts left and right about how much better it is with a tune and so far, i'm not impressed unless something's not right? I know some will say run the 93 tune or nothing and unfortunately, I cannot. Only one station in town sells 93 and it's a good 25 minute drive to that station on the other side of town so having to plan my trips there every few days to fill up would be a hassle i'd like to avoid. But still, a 91 tune should do something no? And it's the 91 firm shift so it should be more aggressive, however, i'm not seeing or feeling anything???

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Get a hold of the tune providers and let them know.
Can't think of anything else to do...

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
I had a 91 tune before I had my 93 tune ( I moved to a different state ) and it was awesome and major difference than the stock tune but that was with a SCT tuner and Brenspeed tunes. I would check with your tuner and see whats going on with your tune.

·
Registered
531 Posts
you bought the predator. everyone including me who says the 91 race tune made a big difference has an SCT tuner tuned by bama

·
Registered
328 Posts
Should of got the SCT from bama

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
i got the same problem here getting 93. there are 3 stations, and each one s 25 miles away or so. i like the ride each week to get fuel, but it is a hassle. i did load the 91 bama tune a couple weeks ago just as a test, and i was pretty impressed with it also, though i did have 93 in the tank. though the jlt is great, the tune is everything :yup:

·
Registered
2,279 Posts

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Yea there's Tune's and there's Tunes, if you did'nt get one from American Muscle then that's where you went wrong. If you cant feel a difference then you got Robbed:gringreen
The first time I put My 93 Tune in I went HOLY SHI:gringreen Now a 91 Race Tune from Bama you'd have seen a difference and I doubt that going the extra mile for 93 with the Tunes you got now would make a difference. But if you got your Tunes from Bama goint with 93 would make a difference and I'd drive the extra miles for 93:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Well, the optimum A/F ratio for producing power in a NA engine is around 13:1 (FI runs a bit richer to help with detonation issues). When you floor it the stock tune is probably around there just as the aftermarket tune is. That leaves the timing as a variable. It’s different for different types of engines , but a general rule of thumb is that for every octane number that’s increased in the fuel you can increase the timing around 1.25 degrees (too a point). A one degree of timing increase roughly equates to a 1% increase in engine efficiency, assuming peak cylinder pressure stays around 15 to 20 degrees after top dead center, the optimum leverage angle on the crank for producing torque. So going from 87 octane to 91 you’re only going to pick up around 4 – 5 %, some improvement, but not a huge increase.

Besides making sure that the A/F ratio and timing are optimum, successful tuners have learned some tricks over the years for improving the sportiness of a car. One trick is to simply increase the throttle sensitivity. The car feels stronger simply because you don’t have to mash the pedal as hard to get something out of it. Another trick is to prevent the torque converter from locking up at highway cruise. This can hurt MPG a little bit, but it does give the car better throttle response on the highway. Automatic transmission over-lap periods can be shortened to make for a firmer shift also. The fuel map can also be tweaked to richen things up a little quicker at part throttle to make for a crisper response.

Of these, the stock tune in the Diablo Sport tuner probably only gets the A/F and timing right at full throttle, and doesn’t incorporate the other tricks to make for a more sporty drive, hence the likely source of your disappointment. Also, depending on how old the tuner is, it may need both firmware and software updates. Did you buy it new or used? Check their website for how to do updates on it.

Sorry about the long post.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
About a month ago I installed a new JLT Cold Air Intake and 91 Octane Tune (diablosport, not SCT) and so far - i cannot tell any difference between running that or the stock airbox without a tune. What's going on? I keep reading posts left and right about how much better it is with a tune and so far, i'm not impressed unless something's not right? I know some will say run the 93 tune or nothing and unfortunately, I cannot. Only one station in town sells 93 and it's a good 25 minute drive to that station on the other side of town so having to plan my trips there every few days to fill up would be a hassle i'd like to avoid. But still, a 91 tune should do something no? And it's the 91 firm shift so it should be more aggressive, however, i'm not seeing or feeling anything???
Are you running a custom tune for the JLT cold air intake, or the preloaded tunes that come with the Diablo predator? Where did you purchase from?

Chris

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's the pre-loaded tune for my JLT - figuring I have not done anything aside from the JLT CAI to my car (performance wise), i didn't think i'd need a custom tune? It was purchased from DiabloSport as I have a friend there - - however, i'm not contemplating putting it on eBay and going to brenspeed??

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
It's the pre-loaded tune for my JLT - figuring I have not done anything aside from the JLT CAI to my car (performance wise), i didn't think i'd need a custom tune? It was purchased from DiabloSport as I have a friend there - - however, i'm not contemplating putting it on eBay and going to brenspeed??
Well then that's your Problem, you got a (Pre-Loaded Tune) Pre-Loaded Tunes Blow! AM sells Dialbo Sport Predator Tuners, if you Not a Free Tunes for Life Member from AM it'll cost you $150 to get them. Call them and have em set you up with some Custom Tunes made for your Stang and it's JLT CAI, that way you can keep your Tuner and just but some Custom Tunes:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
What he said ^^^^^^:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I went on to americanmuscle.com just now to do just that - buy the 3 custom tunes for $150 and then i'll be enrolled for free tunes for life...sweet! However, it shows that the tunes are for most SCT tuners and the only diablosport they have is the trinity t-1000 which is not my model. So i'm assuming that will not be a route for me to go - i'll have to sell mine and just shell out the cash for a new tuner which blows because I was hoping to purchase the tunes right now!

·
Registered
531 Posts
you should of checked around before you bought that crappy diablo.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
you should of checked around before you bought that crappy diablo.
Nice way to kick a guy when he is down! But I agree! I'm glad I do tons of research before buying anything, and these forums have been a great help:worship

·
Registered
531 Posts
haha you have to tear them down then build them back up :laugh:

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
When I got my GT back in 2008 , I didnt know squat about mods for it, I learned most of it here on AFM from the great members, at that time there was Tillman Speed ( Chris Rose @ AM now ), Bama Chips ( That is what his company was called before Doug partnered with AM ) and Brenspeed for performance tunes, so I went with Brenspeed, their tunes for my automatic are awesome :bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I did a lot of research and when I paid nearly nothing for it (friend works with Diablosport), it was hard to pass up when at the time, I didn't have the cash to shell out for one from Brenspeed......it'll find its way on eBay shortly and i'll be going to Brenspeed shortly!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts