Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again as you may know I was having trouble with my car not starting, so today I had the chance to tinker with it again, at first I had replaced the starter solenoid on the fender but got the wires messed up so nothing happened and it would not start, so I take it to the mechanic and he puts the wires were they are supposed to go and the car starts, but the starter stays engaged for a couple of seconds. So today I removed the starter and before I did, I checked to see if it was loose or crooked and it was not. So I replaced the starter and it still grinds for a couple of seconds. I asked the mechanic what it may be and he told me that the starter is bad. Can this be true even though it is a new one?

I also replaced the solenoid from the dealer and never had problems with the starter staying engaged before.

I checked the solenoid and saw that on the right post looking from above, the red and black wire from the starter are connected on the right post. The left post has a yellow wire, two black wires, and positive wire from battery. Is this right?

·
Administrator
40,064 Posts
maybe the ign. switch is keeping the starter engaged too long..turn the key on,start the car at the selonoid to check it....

·
Administrator
40,064 Posts
use a jumper wire from the hot post to the s terminal on the selinoid to activate the starter,see if it grinds or not....

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
use a jumper wire from the hot post to the s terminal on the selinoid to activate the starter,see if it grinds or not....

Excuse my lack of knowledge when it comes to cars but I'm still learning. When you say hot post do you mean the negative post on the battery or? and the s terminal is on the right looking down on solenoid?

·
Administrator
40,064 Posts
sorry so long to get back to you...i mean the + post on battery,the s terminal should be marked on the selinoid....

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
It could be a bad solenoid. Even if you replaced it already, they can go bad and cause the exact problem you are describing. They simply don't release quick enough and the starter will grind.
How would you know if a new solenoid is bad? The first one I got was from Kragen, actually bought two and then went to the dealer and got it there. Could a wrong wire connected to a post on the solenoid make it go bad, or maybe a wire is on the wrong post making staying engaged?

·
Registered
73 Posts
How would you know if a new solenoid is bad? The first one I got was from Kragen, actually bought two and then went to the dealer and got it there. Could a wrong wire connected to a post on the solenoid make it go bad, or maybe a wire is on the wrong post making staying engaged?
After going back and rereading your post it does sound like you may have the wires wrong. When you pop the hood and stand at the pass. front tire and look across that the solenoid you should only have one black wire on the LEFT side going to the starter. Now on the RIGHT post you may have as many as two big wires (one red and one is yellow) and two little wires (for a total of 4 wires) this is the positive from the battery. Then of course you have the little red wire on the top of the solenoid. If you have any wires on the left side besides the black one going to the starter then you need to move them to the right side. Remember only black on the left side and this is again if you are looking from the pass. side across the engine.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After going back and rereading your post it does sound like you may have the wires wrong. When you pop the hood and stand at the pass. front tire and look across that the solenoid you should only have one black wire on the LEFT side going to the starter. Now on the RIGHT post you may have as many as two big wires (one red and one is yellow) and two little wires (for a total of 4 wires) this is the positive from the battery. Then of course you have the little red wire on the top of the solenoid. If you have any wires on the left side besides the black one going to the starter then you need to move them to the right side. Remember only black on the left side and this is again if you are looking from the pass. side across the engine.
THANK YOU!:bigthumbsup it worked it does not grind anymore, I had a feeling the wires were not connected right, I just did not know how they were supposed to go. Also thanks to heavymetal for helping me out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.