Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 93 2.3L Lx and it has been pretty trouble free until the last few months, since then I have replaced the ignition module , Mass Air Flow and idle air control valve, anyway the car just wont idle ! I seems like to me when its cold idling is impossible and when its been driven for a while it may idle for hours then you get to a stop sign or red light and the rpms drop below 1000 the car shimmys and shakes then it dies. I love this car but the cash I have spent recently is frustrating especially when the problem isnt fixed!

Any help would be great !

·
Registered
1 Posts
Idle problem

Hi, OK, on your idle problem. #1, I would check the EGR & EGR solenoid. An Egr that is stuck open will cause a rough idle or won't idle at all. Also, the EGR should not operate until engine is warm. A defective EGR solenoid can cause EGR to operate when engine is cold. Condition caused by this: WILL NOT IDLE COLD, RUN TERRIBLE UNTIL ENGINE REACHES OPERATING TEMP. PETERD156

malefic_ said:
I have a 93 2.3L Lx and it has been pretty trouble free until the last few months, since then I have replaced the ignition module , Mass Air Flow and idle air control valve, anyway the car just wont idle ! I seems like to me when its cold idling is impossible and when its been driven for a while it may idle for hours then you get to a stop sign or red light and the rpms drop below 1000 the car shimmys and shakes then it dies. I love this car but the cash I have spent recently is frustrating especially when the problem isnt fixed!

Any help would be great !

·
Registered
198 Posts
Could be a lot of things. Checking the codes would be the best place to start. If you do not have the equipment, Autozone will do it for free.

Based on your symptoms, my first guess would be that your throttle position sensor (TPS) has died. If you get a code 63 from the Autozone test, just go ahead and buy a TPS. About $40.00. If you do not know how to adjust it, repost and we can go through the adjustment procedure.

Good Luck with it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sounds like your fuel filter needs to be replaced. Simple to do. Look underneath your rear bumper right next to the gas tank. Takes 5 mins to do.:winks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.