Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I just finished putting my 5.0 back together (no new parts, just fixing leaks) and it cranks but doesn't start. When I started the crank/no start checklist, I would get a faint spark at the coil wire but not anymore. Now there's nothing at the coil.

I have an msd 6btm with a wiring job that is completely shambles, which makes the checklist somewhat difficult for me to follow sometimes so I tried another suggestion that I found:

"Loosen distributor holding bolt with 1/2" wrench, remove plug from coil, turn ign on, while holding the coil plug away from the coil tower, rotate distributor left-right-left.... spark arcs from coil to plug = check condition of distributor rotor and cap, and replace."

So I did this and happened to get spark between the coil tower and plug while I rotate the distributor with the ignition on. The entire MSD distributor is somewhat new and looks factory on the inside. Is this reasonable troubleshooting? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

I swapped the coil, disco'd the MSD 6btm, and I'm pretty sure the starter solenoid is fine (engine cranks while jumpering the terminals).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man, I got it started somehow..

I shot wiring and ran through the checklist until my battery completely died. Got it fully charged, installed it and had spark everywhere. It started right up, go figure. Now I have a couple new issues: starts on first crank, but idles at 4000 rpms! Started it three times with the same outcome.

Plus a coolant leak from some random not-used hose opening on the lower passenger side.

I'll do some research, then start a new thread. Thanks again for the suggestion.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The heater core was leaking all over the headers so I just bypassed it completely by looping one of the hoses back to the return line. Who needs heat in Vegas anyway. Thanks for all the help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts