Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly, just curious how long it takes to replace Radiator on my mustang and which one to put in, should it be brass, plastic or high cooling capacity??, secondly, I'm alot of power threw my stereo, and when I'm at idle my voltage drops down to around 8-10, this is with a tank of battery as is, should I be upgrading to a bigger alt?? Finally, anyone have suggestions for upgrades, I've only had the car for a few months but I want to keep it and drop some money into it, any ideas on what to do first to the engine without spending too much money at the moment??

·
Registered
514 Posts
id put a 130 amp alt from a 95-95 stang...or higher. the rad is up to you but its a easy swap you can do it in a afternoon easy

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
yea man youre gonna wanna upgrade your alternator. 130 amp at least. i purchased a 160 amp alternator of ebay, the sellers name was hipoelectric, try and find him, he has many for sale. they are refurbished motorcraft alternators, so theyre good. comes with a one year warranty as well. i paid 100 bucks for mine, worth every penny. comes with the stator plug too.

you will also need to upgrade your charging wire (from alternator main prong to starter relay) and add a fuseable link (better safe than sorry).

you will also need to grind away part of the alternator bracket (i used an angle grinder). possibly even purchase a longer 3/8" coarse thread bolt + nut for the top bracket.

for more information on the swap, just do a search of these forums, there are PLENTY of threads about it.

with the new charging cable, alternator, and misc. hardware, i spent about 120 bucks on the swap. i had to do it because my alternator was draining my battery. (some diode or something, all i know is it dont do it anymore)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
any suggestions on where to start on mods for my car, I have flowmaster exhaust, from the head down, other than that it's pretty much stock, good tune up, cold air, and underdrive pulleys be a good start??:confused: :shrug

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
kuzmar_14 said:
any suggestions on where to start on mods for my car, I have flowmaster exhaust, from the head down, other than that it's pretty much stock, good tune up, cold air, and underdrive pulleys be a good start??:confused: :shrug
Yes. And you definitely want the alternator upgrade with the pulleys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.