Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I had the 93+ Bama Race tune for about a year now and I'm a little dissatisfied with it. I mean it is awesome when I have the car in FOT, but when I'm driving normal it seems like the gears are switching too fast and seems to loose power. When I'm at a stop light and it turns green, 1st to 2nd gear is fine, but 2 to 3rd seems to switch to fast and I almost have to put the peddle to the floor if I want to pass someone. Any thoughts what I should do and is anyone else noticing what I'm explaining?

·
Registered
505 Posts
I would either re-load the tune or just unplug the negative on the battery for 20 minutes or so...either one will work. I do this every now and then when the tune seems to go "limp".If that dont work maybe clean your maf,throttle body, r maybe the JLT filter needs cleaned or re-placed. I just replaced my filter and it made a difference...

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Well I had the 93+ Bama Race tune for about a year now and I'm a little dissatisfied with it. I mean it is awesome when I have the car in FOT, but when I'm driving normal it seems like the gears are switching too fast and seems to loose power. When I'm at a stop light and it turns green, 1st to 2nd gear is fine, but 2 to 3rd seems to switch to fast and I almost have to put the peddle to the floor if I want to pass someone. Any thoughts what I should do and is anyone else noticing what I'm explaining?

Well that tends to happen with a v6(I kid I kid, don't flame me, small joke) I would send it back to bama and get the street tune, the race tunes are for top end so that could be part of the problem, although you shouldn't be powerless anywhere in the band. You could always get the sct chip custom dynoed by an sct shop since you have the chip already it will probably only be 100-200 dollars for dyno time.

EDIT

You should also PM chris rose from AM on here and I'm sure hell be able to help you out!

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
In general these cars go up through the gears too fast in my opinion. Shouldn’t have to kill the throttle just to hold a gear long enough to get the thing moving. Worst around here is right turns, population density is so high that you have to be careful most of the time, seems you just get out of the turn and go to accelerate and it’s already going up into higher gears, which makes accelerating a pain. You either have to put up with it or kill the throttle to get it to downshift. One thing I’ve been thinking about trying was changing the selected tire size in the tuner so that it thinks you’re going slower than what you are and hopefully holds a gear a little while longer (basically you tell it that you have a smaller tire than what you have by raising the revs/mile option). I’m not sure if the up-shifts are based on road speed or RPM though, so it may or may not work. Downside to this is that the speedometer will be a little bit off.

·
Banned
612 Posts
I partially believe it's tune related, since the core focus (imo) is straight performance and not driveability. Even though I run a different tune (Steeda), it's the same deal. My car is very inconsistent with upshifts and shifts very quickly on normal take off. It's just what we have to live with for I don't think there's much a person can do.

I think re-loading a tune is a waste of time, that doesn't make any sense to me. If it did make any difference it would be short lived. My car works good about 80% of the time and sometimes when I put my foot down rolling along, it's like the car doesn't know what to do with itself. I've just learned to live with it by accepting the fact it's a cheap car, with mediocre performance and have no plans on keeping it forever. My next car will be a 'vette/. Problem solved.

Those who say their car works flawlessly, please let me take it for a drive so I can prove you wrong. haha. My car works great if you drive it like a granny. But if you're zippin' around town the term "slushbox" definitely comes to the forefront of my mind. It's laughable, considering I've had alot of other cars that were less money and shifted alot better.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
You might give Brenspeed.com a look :bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
I partially believe it's tune related, since the core focus (imo) is straight performance and not driveability. Even though I run a different tune (Steeda), it's the same deal. My car is very inconsistent with upshifts and shifts very quickly on normal take off. It's just what we have to live with for I don't think there's much a person can do.

I think re-loading a tune is a waste of time, that doesn't make any sense to me. If it did make any difference it would be short lived. My car works good about 80% of the time and sometimes when I put my foot down rolling along, it's like the car doesn't know what to do with itself. I've just learned to live with it by accepting the fact it's a cheap car, with mediocre performance and have no plans on keeping it forever. My next car will be a 'vette/. Problem solved.

Those who say their car works flawlessly, please let me take it for a drive so I can prove you wrong. haha. My car works great if you drive it like a granny. But if you're zippin' around town the term "slushbox" definitely comes to the forefront of my mind. It's laughable, considering I've had alot of other cars that were less money and shifted alot better.
WOW Bash the V6 Stang.....I dont see how it's a Cheap Car, mine new was almost $25K and another $5K for Intrest if you want to count that. I done see the V6 being a Slush Box, mabey with the Factory Tune. I have Chris Rose's 93 ALL OUT Tune from when he was at Tillman's, this is an absolute Great Tune, I'd be hard to part with it and try anyother. Mabey your Steeda Tune is the reason your V6 is the way it is.
Now I cant comment on the 93 Race Tune from AM as I dont have it, but it is a Race Tune, it's ment for all out speed and doing it quick, not for running around town in slow Traffic, I think that's the reason he's having problems, or he just needs to have it re-written.
A-lot of us V6 Owners take Pride in owning our V6's, sorry you feel different, Enjoy your Vette:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
505 Posts
Adaptive learning. Most tunes lock this function out @ wot...which is why everything feels good still under full throttle...but under normal driving, shifts will get very sluggish over time. Pretty sure the ecu will continue to change fuel/air to keep the car running efficient under easy throttle(which is why pedal pressure changes) Could all be bs...could just be some kind of placebo effect...but to me it works. Unless the op is saying it has acted this way since day one...if thats the case then something else is seriously wrong.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
With all three tunes I have with the SCT from AM/Bama it is night/day from stock, when I have my stock wheels/tires on I have to be extremely careful when taking off from a light or its a roastfest of tire (need the 8.8) the car pulls hard through all the gears and I have a manual transmission. To the guy in Canada, next time you come to DC to see the cherry blossoms send me a PM and you can drive my car, and show me the flaws of my tunes, because I sure don't see any!

·
Banned
612 Posts
WOW Bash the V6 Stang.....I dont see how it's a Cheap Car, mine new was almost $25K and another $5K for Intrest if you want to count that. I done see the V6 being a Slush Box, mabey with the Factory Tune. I have Chris Rose's 93 ALL OUT Tune from when he was at Tillman's, this is an absolute Great Tune, I'd be hard to part with it and try anyother. Mabey your Steeda Tune is the reason your V6 is the way it is.
Now I cant comment on the 93 Race Tune from AM as I dont have it, but it is a Race Tune, it's ment for all out speed and doing it quick, not for running around town in slow Traffic, I think that's the reason he's having problems, or he just needs to have it re-written.
A-lot of us V6 Owners take Pride in owning our V6's, sorry you feel different, Enjoy your Vette:bigthumbsup
Dude, I have the GT and even IT is a cheap car, if you think a mustang is a high-end sports car, you must be some sort of country bumpkin'. I wasn't bashing the V6, or the mustang name, they are fun cars, but reality check: they're still a cheap american sports car. It's nice that you like Mustangs, but get real. 20-25-30 grand isn't high end. 60k and up and you start talking expensive. What's 25k get you nowadays? Not a whole hell of a lot. ;)

Don't get me wrong, I like the car(s) but they aren't the most expensive sports car, my last three cars were Cadillacs. When you put the peddle down, it works how it should. His car and my car are not on the same level of refinement, faster or slower.

·
Banned
612 Posts
With all three tunes I have with the SCT from AM/Bama it is night/day from stock, when I have my stock wheels/tires on I have to be extremely careful when taking off from a light or its a roastfest of tire (need the 8.8) the car pulls hard through all the gears and I have a manual transmission. To the guy in Canada, next time you come to DC to see the cherry blossoms send me a PM and you can drive my car, and show me the flaws of my tunes, because I sure don't see any!

I could be wrong, but the poster of the thread is talking automatic transmission, which mine is as well. Manuals are a different animal with their own seperate issues.

·
Registered
211 Posts
i gotta be honest i think the tunes are worthless for autos. I hear alot of threads on here about how ppl dont like them and they all drive autos

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Dude, I have the GT and even IT is a cheap car, if you think a mustang is a high-end sports car, you must be some sort of country bumpkin'. I wasn't bashing the V6, or the mustang name, they are fun cars, but reality check: they're still a cheap american sports car. It's nice that you like Mustangs, but get real. 20-25-30 grand isn't high end. 60k and up and you start talking expensive. What's 25k get you nowadays? Not a whole hell of a lot. ;)

Don't get me wrong, I like the car(s) but they aren't the most expensive sports car, my last three cars were Cadillacs. When you put the peddle down, it works how it should. His car and my car are not on the same level of refinement, faster or slower.
Your Quotes (Cheap Car) (Mediocre Preformance) (Slush Box) (Laughable) sounds like Bashing to me....Yep Im a Country Bumkin alright 100% and Proud Of It:bigthumbsup I think YOU need to get a Net Tune for your Mustang:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Very odd! Usually the automatic guys rave about the tunes and the Manual guys get salty because they can't take advantage of the increased shift firmness, etc.

There's definitely something going on, so I would give the Bama team a call. Our V6 race tunes are the best in the industry, so if you're not "feeling" the tune, we need to figure out exactly what's going on.

The adaptive learning in the transmission shouldn't be a problem on the race tune, but re-load the tune over top of itself and see if it "comes back to life". If it doesn't, give the Bama team a call Monday-Friday from 9AM-5:30PM EST at 888.226.9764 and they'll go over the tune and then go over the mods you submitted to make sure they match what we programmed as well as what you really have.

From there, they can help diagnose this. Sometimes it's just a fuel filter, sometimes it's plugs. There's definitely no reason with our Race tune for the car to feel sluggish. 90% of the Race Tune feedback is that "I can't drive this everyday, I have to dial it back to the Street or Performance tune", which we tell everyone it's not for everyday use, not for safety, but for comfort.

I hope this helps. Either way, we'll get you solved! There's something wrong if your Race tune isn't throwing you back in the seat. Bama will find it!

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
i gotta be honest i think the tunes are worthless for autos. I hear alot of threads on here about how ppl dont like them and they all drive autos
Speechless. Auto Mustangs actually get more of a benefit than manual Mustangs do. That feedback is definitely not common. Keep digging around on here, you'll find that the consensus is that Automatic Mustangs feel the benefit much more than a manual guy who gets some WOT power, throttle response, and a little bit of part-throttle-to-moderate-throttle power.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
I have an automatic and sorry dude but you have know idea what you are talking about as far as autos go with performance tunes ( As you say people here on AFM ). My 93 octane Brenspeed tune or for that matter a similar Bama tune will knock you back your seat and shift like a mother :yup::yup:

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Speechless. Auto Mustangs actually get more of a benefit than manual Mustangs do. That feedback is definitely not common. Keep digging around on here, you'll find that the consensus is that Automatic Mustangs feel the benefit much more than a manual guy who gets some WOT power, throttle response, and a little bit of part-throttle-to-moderate-throttle power.
Chris I know your at AM now, I got your 93 All Out Tune, I Love It, It's Perfect. Throttle Respose, Shifts, Pull, everythings Spot On:bigthumbsup
Im thinking of trying the 93 Race Tune from AM, how would you compare the 93 All OUT to the 93 Race Tune from AM, advantages or disadvantages to either. Oh, and I have a 07 V6 Premium Auto, JLT CAI and True Duals, X Pipe and GT Mufflers
Thank's and Keep Up The Great Work:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
I have an automatic and sorry dude but you have know idea what you are talking about as far as autos go with performance tunes ( As you say people here on AFM ). My 93 octane Brenspeed tune or for that matter a similar Bama tune will knock you back your seat and shift like a mother :yup::yup:
I Agree 100% with you on this one Steve:bigthumbsup I just have a V6 Auto and Im like WOW this thing is Nice with a 93 Tune! I could'nt Imagine what a V8 would be like, Im Plenty Impressed with the 6:bigthumbsup
I think mabey (dynobrat) should call AM and get a Real Tune for his Cheap, Mediocre Preforming, Laughable V8 GT Slushbox and see what it's like to Drive then:winks

·
Banned
612 Posts
I think you guys might be missing the point to a fair degree.

The original poster said it's fine at full throttle, so is my car. If I take off from a stop, and hit the floor, it's 100% how it should be. If I take off gradually, let it shift into second, 7 out of 10 times there's a delay when upshifting, almost like it won't upshift at all. There are other times where you are in 2 or 3 and lay the pedal down and expect it to upshift and it doesn't. Then the minute you let off the gas, it decides it wants to upshift. And driving around normally it shifts from 1-OD in no time flat. I don't even run a BAMA tune, so I seriously doubt it's specific to one tune or another. It's definitely an electronic control related issue, otherwise you would know if there was something wrong with the transmission itself.

But what he is saying is that the way the transmission shifts in situations OTHER than full on throttle. My car is the same way and there are alot of other people with automatics that say the same thing. It's not that there's no difference, there is.

My car will shift very hard and chirp through the gears, but when you're driving around town like you're in a bit of a rush, the transmissions behaves poorly. Shifts very quickly through the gears and doesn't upshift when its supposed to etc. It just doesn't behave like any other normal car would.

I wouldn't point fingers at the creators of the tune, because I am running a Steeda tune and it's the same deal. I think it's just another one of those things where electronically controlled technology isn't always your best friend when it comes to managing different components in a vehicle. But I do wonder if the makers of these tunes focus alot of attention on streetability or just all out performance.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts