Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Just Purchased A 93 Cobra With A Few Parts Stolen Off Of It
Including The Wheels. I Have A Set Of 4 Lug Pony Wheels On It And Are Not Experiencing Any Problems With Them. I Would Like To Purchase A Set Of Chrome 1993 Reproduction Wheels, But I Was Told They Will Not Fit My 93 Cobra Because Of The Offset. Is There A Way I Can Fit These Wheels On My 93 Cobra Without Alot Of Mods. Wheel Spacers Maybe? Why Aren't These Reprodctions Working On 93 Cobras...where Are They Hitting?
Thanks A Bunch!

Brandon

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
The '93 Cobra's track (hub-to-hub) is 1.5" wider than '93 and-earlier non-Cobra models (exc. '84-'86 SVO). Each axle is .75" longer and each rotor has a .75" thicker hub. If you put non-Cobra wheels on a Cobra (w/ original rotors and axles), those wheels will be .75" further outbound on each side than normal. Cobra wheels were not only wider (7.5" compared to 7") but the backspacing and offset were different as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info...now with that in mind...what do you suggest i do in order to make these wheels fit? different brakes and axles?

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
You can put '87-'93 GT/LX 5.0L or '87/'88 T'bird TC rotors on the front. If you want shorter axles, you're going to have to get rid of the disc brakes and convert to drum brakes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well that doesn't sound too good...rear drums...so i guess i'm pretty much outa luck with the cobra reproductions...another question that comes to mind
with the 93 cobra reproductions is - am i gonna have a problem with them sticking out .75" or am i going to have problems with these wheels hitting
the front and rear calipers, quad shocks, or fenders? i just can't believe that
i can't find an aftermarket wheel for my 1993 cobra. i also can't believe that
they would re-introduce the 93 cobra wheels and have them not even fit a cobra. im not sure of the exacty backspacing, but i know the reproduction
wheels are 17x8.5

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Wait, you have repro Cobra wheels? I thought you had chrome Pony repros.

The '93 Cobra repros are the same as the originals. ( I mistakingly said the OE wheels were 7.5". They were 8.5".)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i thought the same also...that the repo's are the same as the original cobra wheels...but they are not...the offset is made for 79 - 93 mustangs, excluding 1993 cobra - the original cobra wheels were stolen from my car...i have regular 4 lug ponys on it now and are not having problems.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
snakebit93 said:
Well, I thought the same, that the repo's are the same as the original cobra wheels. But they are not. The offset is made for '79-'93 Mustangs, excluding 1993 Cobra.
Right. I totally screwed this thread up. Sorry.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I finally found a fix to my problem. I ran into someone with a 93 cobra that had the
cobra replica wheels on it. All he had to do is change the front rotors to gt rotors.
He runs a 245 tire on the front and anywhere from a 245-275 on the rear.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
OK, that takes care of the front track width. What about the rear?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.