Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:bigthumbsupOk so here is what I got: 1993 GT, 302, E cam, full exhaust, CAI, just replaced the stator, TFI, cap, rotor button, ignition coil, plugs wires, etc. So here is my question. Once I put the distributor back in, I set the timing at 12 degrees with the spout out, put it back in, drove it, and it was misfiring like crazy. I have messed with it all day and I eventually just turned the distributor by hand until it sounded right, drove it again and it doesn't skip anymore. The only problem is that it doesn't hit like it used to. At idle, you really can't even tell that it has a cam. Before, it sounded great and would hit a lick, but not any more. The exhuast is even quieter. It runs so much smoother though. Should I be worried about this? Maybe I skipped a gear when I put the distributor back in? Any ideas would be great. Thanks!

·
Registered
269 Posts
It sounds like your distributor is off a tooth or more!

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
As with your car, I can set my timing through how it sounds. At a certain point, it too sounds like there is a stock cam in it, though probably a bit more rougher cuz of the cobra intakes(which I would suggest you do if you want to feel a big difference in engine performance). Have you tried a timing light when you have this setting to see where youre at? Once the dist is in its proper place, be sure to mark it with a paint/chalk line on dist to the block. Its always worth the time to set your dist when the number 1 cylinder is up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm pretty sure trip nailed it. I realized that when I took the gear off, I forgot to mark it on the shaft. When I put it back on, it was way off. The timing was reading at 28 degrees, so I turned it back a tooth and it dropped to -2 degrees. However, I went to take the gear off last night with a gear puller, pulled the gear half way off, and the shaft split in half. I knew the stock distributors were weak, but I didn't think they were that bad. Oh well, ordered the MSD billet dizzy this morning. Thanks for the replies guys, hope this helps someone.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts