Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm relocating to VA right outside DC in Dec. They do the full run of smog tests there. I currently have a 93 GT with a carbed 347 stroker that has had everything removed that ever had to do with emissions. The smog pump is gone, the o2 sensors are not plugged in, no computer, and the mufflers have bypass cutouts in them. The only thing that I do still have is a stock h pipe with cats that I can put back on. I am just about 99.99% sure this thing will bomb the tests and probably make the equipment explode when it gets tested. Its not old enough to be exempt by VA law. Any ideas?

J

·
0 Posts
I had an '84 T-bird and I removed everything as well (air pump, EGR, etc., and replaced the TBI with a 600 CFM Holley carb and a non-emissions intake manifold, manual advance distributor, and a mild cam). It wasn't even very well tuned.

Most of that stuff really makes less of a difference than you think. I passed with flying colors with just the cats still in place.

My Turbo '95 Mustang with no EGR, no AIR pump and self-tuned (with a single high-flow cat in the Y-pipe) passed just a few months ago as well.

The O2's are meaningless if you're running a carb. So just pop the H-pipe back on and give it a shot. If you fail, you can tune the carb to get a lot closer. Nothing to worry about.

Now I don't know if VA is anywhere as picky as CA, but here the visual inspection they do just checks if you have cats or not. The rest is all tail-pipe test.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Here in VA they do the visual inspection during the required safety inspection. I have a feeling when you bring in a car like that, they will also choose to do a visual. I am in the same boat. I have almost $20k in a '91 that will never pass emissions in a million years, but the tree huggers can kiss my arse if they think I ain't gonna drive it after all that work.
Luckily I also have another '91 (stock) that is the daily driver. If it comes down to it I'll paint them the same color and just swap the plates back and forth. If you know someone living in a non-emissions county in VA, you can tell the DMV that the car is garaged there most of the year and they will just register it in that county. There were rumors that VA was going to drop requiring emissions on anything older than 1995, but that was a while ago...

·
Registered
195 Posts
BTW, Virginia also can issue an "exempt" status for the car if you show proof that you have spent at least $700 trying to get it to pass emissions with no luck.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
BTW, Virginia also can issue an "exempt" status for the car if you show proof that you have spent at least $700 trying to get it to pass emissions with no luck.
But even with the $700 do they still require you have the equipment installed? (ie, must still have smog pump and cats)

This is the very reason I won't sell the smog stuff I took off the car and bought heads that still have emissions passages. You just never know when you might need to put it back on if you move or the car gets sold to someone in another state.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'm not sure if that stuff needs to be on there...if you are going to fail anyway, it wouldn't really matter. But once you have the waiver, you are golden

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LimitedE, I know your pain. Im looking at around 22K and I refuse to park the car. I may have the option of just keeping it plated in KY thus not caring about cats and all that other crap. Thanks for all the input fellas.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Keep the Ky. plates and a Ky. address. You see plates in the D.C. area from all over. I once worked in that area for 8 months, never had any problems with a Ky. plate. A part of West Va. isn't far from there might check out their emission law, they may have something to work with also.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts