Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 93 LX 2.3 rides quite litteraly like a go cart. Every bump nearly rattles my fillings lose! And, at times the car will shoot in the direction when I'm trying to change lanes. Any ideas for causes and/or solutions for this problem? Thanks!
Off topic a bit; anyone know good websites for interior, exterior and replacement parts for a 93? Thanks Again!

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
yeah 50resto.com has everything you need

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
My 93 LX 2.3 rides quite litteraly like a go cart. Every bump nearly rattles my fillings lose! And, at times the car will shoot in the direction when I'm trying to change lanes. Any ideas for causes and/or solutions for this problem? Thanks!
Off topic a bit; anyone know good websites for interior, exterior and replacement parts for a 93? Thanks Again!
Interior, Exterior and replacement parts:
These guys have EVERYTHING for your interior and exterior: Fox Mustang Restoration :: 1979-93 Mustang Restoration Parts and Supplies
These guys ship FREE. Although they don't carry as amny interior parts, they have lots of other mechanical and suspension parts that fox resto doesn't carry: Mustang Parts & Performance - American Muscle
Another good one: Mustang Parts, Chevy Truck Parts & Dodge Challenger Parts at Latemodel Restoration Supply (aka 50Resto)

Now, as far as your suspension problem goes; Your car has definately been modified as you have already posted about 5-lug conversion. The person you bought it off of has obviously stuck some really stiff springs on it; probably something like the Eibach pro kit maybe:?:... But anyhow, the springs are super stiff and probably not the greatest for street use, unless you have the smoothest roads ever, and considering how you are posting complaining about it, I would guess that there aren't smooth roads out there...

Also, look at the suspension bushings; they might also be polyurethane or maybe even solid bushings...

So if you are looking for a softer ride go with a set of springs that have a similiar spring rate to the stockers, and get some rubber bushings.

Steve:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
All else being right, poly bushings are pleasant on the street. I have them on my '91 and love 'em. All other suspension componenents are stock or O.E.M. equivalent.

I'm with Steve though, there's no telling what's been done to that car. If it's been lowered, they've either put 5.0 lowering springs or cut the coils, both of which can give a nasty ride.

·
Boss Member
4,627 Posts
Got polybushing on rearend. No complaints there. I would definitely go back to near stock springs. May want to look at putting in rearsway bar helped my help immensely. Maurice

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
All else being right, poly bushings are pleasant on the street. I have them on my '91 and love 'em. All other suspension componenents are stock or O.E.M. equivalent.

I'm with Steve though, there's no telling what's been done to that car. If it's been lowered, they've either put 5.0 lowering springs or cut the coils, both of which can give a nasty ride.
I was thinking for cold weather polyurethane bushings are a lot firmer than rubber, especially when it is cold out. I am putting in some poly's right now actually, but I am only driving her in the Summer. I guess Alabama is kinda exempt from cold weather, lol. Forgive me, I only know what it is like to live in the arctic tundra of Canada:laugh::laugh::laugh:.

And I wonder if going with a lighter shock would help too? That might just make the car more bouncy:nono:.

Steve:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
4 Posts
The steering issue - take a look at the "rag joint" in the steering column. Mine was "slightly torn" and I had control issues. After a $10 replacement one from NAPA, it went were I turned the wheel.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The steering issue - take a look at the "rag joint" in the steering column. Mine was "slightly torn" and I had control issues. After a $10 replacement one from NAPA, it went were I turned the wheel.
You'll have to forgive my ignorance......I'm not certain what the "rag joint" is. :?:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interior, Exterior and replacement parts:
These guys have EVERYTHING for your interior and exterior: Fox Mustang Restoration :: 1979-93 Mustang Restoration Parts and Supplies
These guys ship FREE. Although they don't carry as amny interior parts, they have lots of other mechanical and suspension parts that fox resto doesn't carry: Mustang Parts & Performance - American Muscle
Another good one: Mustang Parts, Chevy Truck Parts & Dodge Challenger Parts at Latemodel Restoration Supply (aka 50Resto)
Thanks for the resources!! That is a BIG help!:worship

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Shocks aren't going to help. That car needs the correct springs.
It appears the general concensus is that the springs definately need to be replaced. To be honest, I don't know if the car has been lowered or not. My avatar is the actual car.....maybe some of you can tell?
Thanks for all the help!!

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
It appears the general concensus is that the springs definately need to be replaced. To be honest, I don't know if the car has been lowered or not. My avatar is the actual car.....maybe some of you can tell?
Thanks for all the help!!
Yes, it has been lowered. I can tell even from the extremely small avatar.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I'd like a better picture. Are those 16" or 17" wheels?
Those look like the 16" pony wheels.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I take back my previous statements: It is not lowered, and those are not 5 star pony wheels.

Those are crappy pics though, lol.

As far as you r question about the rag joint, it's a piece of rubber that goes between 2 rods in your steering linkage. Look it up and you'll find lots of info on this site.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I take back my previous statements: It is not lowered, and those are not 5 star pony wheels.

Those are crappy pics though, lol.

As far as you r question about the rag joint, it's a piece of rubber that goes between 2 rods in your steering linkage. Look it up and you'll find lots of info on this site.

Will do. Thanks. I attached more photos of the car including a close up of the wheel.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/photopost/showgallery.php?ppuser=104039

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.