Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well starting swapping motors this last weekend. We were pretty exhausted at 4am this morning so we called it quits. We are going to work on it again tomorrow. Is there an easy way to get the engine and transmission together? We were trying to get the torque converter stubs into the flex plate holes and couldn't get it lined up. I ended up getting a tci 3000 stall street fighter convertor. Going to work on it again tomorrow.
Here are some pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
428 Posts
it was different for me because i have a 5 speed, but it was easier for me to take the bellhousing off (4 bolts) and put the trans under the car and as back far from the engine as possible and re-connect the bellhousing under the car before sliding it all up to the back of the engine. Otherwise it wouldnt fit because of the h-pipe being to close for comfort and the bellhousing being in the wrong position. Its just a pain bench pressing a transmission, this seemed to work the best for me, im not sure with an automatic though. Good Luck!

·
Registered
123 Posts
can't answer your question but i noticed in the first pic your alternator bracket. never seen one like that.. just a rod gong from alternator to water pump.. where'd you get it?

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
That is a March bracket in the pic.

Bolt em up then put them in at once. If you have the motor in then you will have to somewhat align everything fumble it around then turn the motor to put the nuts on the torque converter. Make sure its locked on the shaft all the way (spin-click. spin click. spin-click. for a total of 3 clicks) or youll be buying a new trans.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice. The torque convertor felt like it was all the way in the shaft it. When I rotated the torque convertor clockwise it slide back about half inch or more it felt like it locked in position.

Spdjnk is correct it is a March pulley alternator/tensioner bracket in the first picture. It does not work if your using a smog pump.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts