Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 93 Race Tune and want to use the best 93 fuel available to me. My best choices are 93 Mapco (no ethanol), 93 Shell (up to 10% ethanol) and 93 Exxon (up to 10% ethanol).

Given the above options what would you choose and why? I don't have access to a top tier non ethanol brand and this is the reason for the post.

Thanks!

·
Registered
568 Posts
I would go with no ethanol whenever possible. It has less energy density than regular gasoline so if you use it you'll be filling up more often.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I would choose no ethanol but only if it was a top tier, which seems to be pretty rare. As much as I despise the ethanol in the first place, I would personally choose E10 at Shell over a no name pure gas. Before someone comments, I know the pipelines bring the same gas but it is higher level of detergents I would be after.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been told to refer to this for my gas choices:

Top Tier Gasoline

Thanks for the link, but this does not tell me if I should use the non-ethanol no name brand over the top tier 10% ethanol mix. Perhaps I should have made OP more specific. I see the opinions are already mixed like my feelings on this matter as well. This is reason I ask for feedback. Thanks

·
Registered
101 Posts
Just a semi random thought on Top Tier Gasoline: In order for a brand to qualiy for this status, all grades of their gasoline must meet some sort of standards. For those of us who only care about high octane premium, how do we know Top Tier is relevant? Maybe some of the other brands meet their standards with their premium grades only? How would we know? Just a thought I had after realizing that I don't know where I'd get any of these brands on this list.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Just a semi random thought on Top Tier Gasoline: In order for a brand to qualiy for this status, all grades of their gasoline must meet some sort of standards. For those of us who only care about high octane premium, how do we know Top Tier is relevant? Maybe some of the other brands meet their standards with their premium grades only? How would we know? Just a thought I had after realizing that I don't know where I'd get any of these brands on this list.
It is hearsay but I have heard some companies do meet the specifications but actively choose not to participate in the top tier program. Perhaps there is a sizable fee associated with membership, I am not sure. I would think it would be odd for a lower brand to meet the specs with their premium and choose not to on the other grades. They have their margins set either way and you would think they promote that status if they actually invested in the additional detergents.

·
Registered
286 Posts
The whole top tier gas thing is a marketing scam. I checked it out around a year ago and found that it was questionable/bogus. For example, Sunoco gas is used for NASCAR...see them on the 'top tier list'? They charge the retailers to be reviewed...You can guess what kind of fees they try to gouge them...

Best advice I have on fuel is that national chain brand gas (Exxon, Mobil, Sunoco, etc.) should all be fine due to their internal quality control, just make your choice depending on what blend of detergents you want or personal preference.

The problem lies with the supermarket and convenience store brands....Most (if not all) purchase their gas on the open market and the quality (mandated octane) can be suspect and can also be mixed with gasoline from a variety of sources so detergents and additives will vary wildly.

I'll give credit to Chris Rose from AM who first explained the open market part to me and all of the research/reading I did afterwards confirmed it.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
142 Posts
i don't mean to change the flow of the OP but i am running a 91 tune because 93 isn't available where i live. my question is if i am travelling and 93 is available should i use that with the 91 tune or just stick with the 91 the tune is already set for?

·
Registered
297 Posts
i don't mean to change the flow of the OP but i am running a 91 tune because 93 isn't available where i live. my question is if i am travelling and 93 is available should i use that with the 91 tune or just stick with the 91 the tune is already set for?
use 91. the 93 is just extra money wasted. if you are sure your tune is safe and correct.

beers

·
Registered
297 Posts
I would go with no ethanol whenever possible. It has less energy density than regular gasoline so if you use it you'll be filling up more often.
this is the best choice.

beers

·
Registered
277 Posts
I run a 93 tune. We have a tier 1 fuel made locally in the Hoosier state...They have 10% ethanol blended in but claim more fuel efficiency better cleaning and performance.
CountryMark :: Plus Gasoline

·
Registered
64 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
did they tell you to buy a ipad2 also? or a zoom?

beers
Funny.

I'm not a chemical engineer. I don't know what goes into making gasoline nor do I know what to look for to differentiate what makes one brand better than the other. I'm not going to say that I recommend using the gas stations in the link because I lack to the expertise to make that call. What I can do, however, is mention what I've previously seen recommended. But then again I try to be helpful, something not everyone here strives toward.

·
Registered
118 Posts
All we have around here is 91 w ethanol. There's a sunoco about 30 miles away, they have 94 octane I plan on filling up w that so I can try out the 93 race tune:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have sort of had the same issue. I run the canned SCT/SF3 93 (2011 Mustang GT) octane strategy tune. I have 93 octane fuel where I live. I guess I just have to assume if they say it's 93, it's 93. I also put 8oz of Torco in my tank whenever I fill up. Most people seem to say Torco is the best. I thought I would give it a try. The mixing charts that Torco has on their website will make your head hurt. I just want to raise the octane of my 15 gallon tank 2 or 3 points. It seems nearly impossible to calculate this with what is given on the website. I'm just going to go with 8oz for the time being. Anyone else have any experience with Torco?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts