Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought this car today and it has just over 30,000 miles on it and is 100% stock. It runs and drives great, but it seems to not have much power above 3000 or so rpm's. Some guidance from the masters would be much appreciated.

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
try a complete tune up, also clean the MAF sensor, throttle body and fuel system...good luck

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car recently had a complete tune up with all Motorcraft parts. I will be cleaning the MAF and the TB soon. Hopefully that takes care of it.

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
well that car only has 240 hp at the crank...paltry by today's standards...your "feel" of the power might be based on some other standard than 1994s

·
Registered
189 Posts
low power

I agree with 2manystangs, the car will feel a little slower or sluggish compared to other stangs. Plus, when you say above 3000 rpms it seems to not have that much power? What are you comparing it to? Is it bogging down, sputters, cutting out, missing? After a complete tune up, if the cats are not stopped up, then it is what it is, meaning...the hp you have is what you have. When I went thru my divorce and went to a 96 cobra to a 92gt, it felt really slow, and it was. You can do alot to the 5.0 so start building it.

Good luck, and glad you got a cobra!:gringreen

Rich

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
I remember my 5.0 back in 94 and driving the 5.0 Cobra...I do recall they top out of torque around 4000rpms...now add some Trick Flow heads, intake, cam and headers and watch the ponies soar!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just came from a 2005 Subaru WRX at Stage 1 and that car was extremely quick, so maybe I am just not used to this one yet. It just seems to be a little more sluggish than what I expected. It will, however, squeal the rear tires with ease. Thanks for the responses guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts