Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of a way to adjust the temperature in which the cooling fan comes on? Mine comes on between the M and the A on the gauge and then goes back off around the R. That's a little high for my taste. I would like it to come on lower than that - say between the R and M or even O and R. I'm sure that's a computer setting (a bit or value). Being 26 years old, is there a tool to make subtle adjustments like that? Or maybe there are different ECT sensors that give a different resistance to the computer, but I haven't found any of those.

Sutton

·
Hands
252 Posts
Anyone know of a way to adjust the temperature in which the cooling fan comes on? Mine comes on between the M and the A on the gauge and then goes back off around the R. That's a little high for my taste. I would like it to come on lower than that - say between the R and M or even O and R. I'm sure that's a computer setting (a bit or value). Being 26 years old, is there a tool to make subtle adjustments like that? Or maybe there are different ECT sensors that give a different resistance to the computer, but I haven't found any of those.

Sutton
This was the same complaint I formed after buying my '94 GT (5.0L), first Mustang I had with an electric fan; previous Foxes had clutch fans. I was not at all pleased by the large temperature swing encountered between fan ON and fan OFF. I therefore re-worked everything in between the water pump and radiator, replacing the electric fan with a mechanical clutch fan. Far more acceptable control.

At any rate, if you can determine which sensor is used to control your fan's relay, it may be possible to alter the operating limits, make it adjustable, even. In am not aware whether the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor is thus used or not. If info is not available via Ford Shop Manual, it should be possible to trace wiring back from the fan relay (which may be enclosed within the CCRM (Constant Control Relay Module), a fancy name for relays sealed in one unit. You would need to determine which wires lead to the fan relay.

·
Registered
7,950 Posts
The fans are controlled in “the tune.” Tuning hardware and software is required to change the temp settings.

The fans are controlled in “the tune.” Tuning hardware and software is required to change the temp settings.

If it’s the original radiator flush it out and it’ll run cooler.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This was the same complaint I formed after buying my '94 GT (5.0L), first Mustang I had with an electric fan; previous Foxes had clutch fans. I was not at all pleased by the large temperature swing encountered between fan ON and fan OFF. I therefore re-worked everything in between the water pump and radiator, replacing the electric fan with a mechanical clutch fan. Far more acceptable control.

At any rate, if you can determine which sensor is used to control your fan's relay, it may be possible to alter the operating limits, make it adjustable, even. In am not aware whether the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor is thus used or not. If info is not available via Ford Shop Manual, it should be possible to trace wiring back from the fan relay (which may be enclosed within the CCRM (Constant Control Relay Module), a fancy name for relays sealed in one unit. You would need to determine which wires lead to the fan relay.

Thanks. The ECT sensor controls the fan. I might be able to put a resistor in series with the sensor so that the computer sees a lower resistance so that it comes on earlier.

·
Hands
252 Posts
Thanks. The ECT sensor controls the fan. I might be able to put a resistor in series with the sensor so that the computer sees a lower resistance so that it comes on earlier.
It may be possible to use an adjustable resistance in conjunction with the ECT to obtain more desirable fan operating points. However, the ECT is also responsible for allowing the EFI system to go "closed-loop" upon reaching a certain predetermined operating temperature; that would not be wise to alter probably. Or, perhaps someone has marketed an adjustable ECT?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts