Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im in a bit of a hard spot with my 94 v6. I got the v6 in hopes of getting decent fuel economy, well unfortunatly im getting around 14.6 consistently. I thought id do a tune up on it in hopes of improving the mpgs so i spent 90 bucks on new plugs and wires only to be dissapointed once again when i found no gains in mpgs. The car is bone stock aside from a divorced dual exhaust. I am not running any rear o2 sensors because from my understanding they are there only to monitor if the cats are filtering, and since i have no cats i didnt feel the need to have them. I have thought about putting some in but i dont want to drop another 150 bucks on something thats not going to help. Im not expecting much better but at least 19mpg would be nice. Most of my driving is on rural roads going about 45-50 mph with little stops. I very rarely "get into it" with what little power it has. Im starting to get sick of it and am about to yank the v6 out and drop in a 302 at least ill have a little bit of power to go along with my crappy gas milage. Any advice to me on how to improve my gas milage. Oh btw the car only has 110,000 miles on it.

·
Banned
7,170 Posts
try cleaning the MAF sensor. could be dirty. and post some pics with the prostars, thats what the wife wants on her 95. :bigthumbsup

·
Banned
612 Posts
oil/air filter change can also help. Using synthetic oil will yield best fuel economy results. Tire pressure can help. Replacing 02 sensors can help, even if expensive. removing unnecessary weight from the vehicle, ensure your drivetrain and alignment are in good order, turning off ac, cleaning airbox, intake tube, throttle body assembly, inspect and replace cracked or damaged vacuum hoses, pcv valve, check for vacuum leaks, clean or replace MAF sensor, not sure what else you can do. But your mods to do list says 3.73 gear that won't help your case any. :) Shifting at or around 2,000-2,200 rpm will also help. There's also no need to downshift when coming to a stop, you will extend the life of your clutch just placing it in neutral and taking your foot off the clutch when you know you're coming to a stop.

It's also to your advantage to clean the engine and bay, vibration shakes dirt and dust around which your engine will still take in even with the air filter it's not trapping 100% of it. I just use hot soapy water and clean rags and a toothbrush. Dirt and heat are the top two things that greatly affect the life and performance of your motor.

Also keeping your vehicle clean helps fuel economy. Sounds foolish but it decreases aerodynamic drag to have a smooth shiny surface versus a dirty one. :yelwacko:

·
Registered
515 Posts
It could very well be the fuel system. I suggest the following;
replace fuel filter.
If that doesn't correct the problem, then;
replace the fuel injectors.

It sounds like there is a blockage somewhere. Chances are, the other people who own the car never replaced the fuel filter. If they don't every now and then use fuel injector cleaner, etc. Its possible the injector(s) could be blocked. I'm positive this may be 99% of your problem. At the same time, if you getting the fuel filter changed, have them to check your fuel pump.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Use some seafoam to get rid of the gunk in the motor. It will also clean the injectors. Try also doing what Dynobrat has said to do, and if nothing improves, go to a shop n have them check out the entire fuel system.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for the replies I think I'm gonna start with the fuel filter tomorrow and see how that helps since it's the cheapest option if that doesn't help I'll try something else next week. I'll keep ya updated.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts