Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the way to work this morning was behind a 944 turbo in traffic. We were both in the left lane for a while then he moved to the righ lane to try to pass some slower traffic but was blocked. By the time he could get back in the left lane he had to get behind me, this must have made him anglry cuz now he is ridding my bumper. I just kept sipping my coffee and listening to Pink Floyd. After a few mile I see a break in the traffic so I switch off the overdrive and but in some Rush look back and he is still on my a$$. The traffic breaks and I floor it. He hung for a few seconds and then I slowly started to walk away. Had to slow down for traffic once we pass the traffic I move in the right lane to let him pass, he pulls up next to me with his turbo all spooled up and then hits it and so do I. He pulled about .5 car length before the Auto could shift down and then I start to real him in a pass him. All this time still sippin' my coffee. I shut down and so does he and he goes on by (not a fly by). It was a good start to a Friday.:)

2001 GT Auto, magnaflow cat back, 70mm TB, K&N FIPK, C-SPrings, Hawk PAds and sloted rotors.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
jjandascog said:
On the way to work this morning was behind a 944 turbo in traffic. We were both in the left lane for a while then he moved to the righ lane to try to pass some slower traffic but was blocked. By the time he could get back in the left lane he had to get behind me, this must have made him anglry cuz now he is ridding my bumper. I just kept sipping my coffee and listening to Pink Floyd. After a few mile I see a break in the traffic so I switch off the overdrive and but in some Rush look back and he is still on my a$$. The traffic breaks and I floor it. He hung for a few seconds and then I slowly started to walk away. Had to slow down for traffic once we pass the traffic I move in the right lane to let him pass, he pulls up next to me with his turbo all spooled up and then hits it and so do I. He pulled about .5 car length before the Auto could shift down and then I start to real him in a pass him. All this time still sippin' my coffee. I shut down and so does he and he goes on by (not a fly by). It was a good start to a Friday.:)

2001 GT Auto, magnaflow cat back, 70mm TB, K&N FIPK, C-SPrings, Hawk PAds and sloted rotors.
Is that some kinda new porsche over the old 911 turbo?:tongue

Plus what kinda power you running under that hood that you could take out a 911(unless that is a car out there that im unaware of called 944 Turbo)

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
tw0scoops123 said:
Is that some kinda new porsche over the old 911 turbo?:tongue

Plus what kinda power you running under that hood that you could take out a 911(unless that is a car out there that im unaware of called 944 Turbo)
Nothing new about a 944 turbo. older car, very quick in its hay day. it is very easy to spot a Porsche 944 turbo. it has a huge "TURBO" across the back end. My parents had a brown with gold BBS wheels. awesome for a 17 year old to drive, especially when mommy and daddy weren't aware i was taking it out for a spin. :winks

google it http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=porsche%20944%20turbo&sa=N&tab=wi

·
Registered
701 Posts
The 944 turbo, or later 944 turbo S has an Audi 4 cylinder turbo motor.
The turbo has 220 HP and the turbo-S (1989) has 250 HP and top speed is 161 mph.

Turbo-S are no joke espicially after the weigh only about 2980 lbs.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Nice kill anyway!:) :worship

I just don't really like the coffe thing-
If you race, be prepared for everything. Holding the steering wheel only with one hand and having a tire blowing up or some other defect, makes it tough to controll a car.
:sterb:

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
jjandascog said:

i actually found one of those 944 turbos when i was looking for a car, it was in pretty good condition with low miles; but I'm glad i went with the stang. I dont think mod parts would be to easy to find for a porshe.

oh and engineer76 is right, both hands on the wheel man

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Ooooohhh. I remember those. Never thought they were really fast just from looking at em. Maybe cuz most older cars while impressive in their day, can't run with new cars. Kinda like a regular old vette from the 80s and early 90s can't hang with the new mustangs. Then again thats a really general assumption, and it is really early on monday, so I'm kinda out of it:)

·
Registered
342 Posts
engineer76 said:
The 944 turbo, or later 944 turbo S has an Audi 4 cylinder turbo motor.
The turbo has 220 HP and the turbo-S (1989) has 250 HP and top speed is 161 mph.

Turbo-S are no joke espicially after the weigh only about 2980 lbs.
Incorrect on several points.

The 944 Turbo (951) has a fully-Porsche-designed engine. It was the 924 and 924 Turbo (931) that used the VW/Audi engine.

A stock 1986-1988 944 Turbo has 217 hp / 243 ft-lbs at the crank. Typical stock dyno numbers are around 198 hp and 230 ft-lbs at the wheels.
A 1988 Turbo S has 247 hp / 250 ft-lbs at the crank.
All 1989 944 Turbos are built to the 1988 Turbo S specification but do not have the "S" designation nor badging.

Typical wet curb weight is about 2,800 pounds depending on options.

$500 of investment (chip, new fuel pressure regulator, 15 PSI boost controller) will net 275 RWHP and 300 RWTQ. At highway speeds a stock 951 won't quite keep up with the new Mustang GT, but a lightly modded one should walk any stock non-supercharged Mustang from about 40 mph on up. A Mustang will destroy any non-race 944 Turbo at the drag strip though since the power doesn't happen until 3,000 RPM for the 944 Turbo.

Top speed is gearing limited and owners report clocking 170-175 on closed courses.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Zenmervolt said:
Incorrect on several points.

The 944 Turbo (951) has a fully-Porsche-designed engine. It was the 924 and 924 Turbo (931) that used the VW/Audi engine.

A stock 1986-1988 944 Turbo has 217 hp / 243 ft-lbs at the crank. Typical stock dyno numbers are around 198 hp and 230 ft-lbs at the wheels.
A 1988 Turbo S has 247 hp / 250 ft-lbs at the crank.
All 1989 944 Turbos are built to the 1988 Turbo S specification but do not have the "S" designation nor badging.

Typical wet curb weight is about 2,800 pounds depending on options.

$500 of investment (chip, new fuel pressure regulator, 15 PSI boost controller) will net 275 RWHP and 300 RWTQ. At highway speeds a stock 951 won't quite keep up with the new Mustang GT, but a lightly modded one should walk any stock non-supercharged Mustang from about 40 mph on up. A Mustang will destroy any non-race 944 Turbo at the drag strip though since the power doesn't happen until 3,000 RPM for the 944 Turbo.

Top speed is gearing limited and owners report clocking 170-175 on closed courses.
From 1985 - 1988 the 944 turbo had 220 HP (217)
Also in 1988 the Turbo S got the 250 HP motor (247)
From 1989 the turbo (called 944 Turbo) was only av. with the 250 HP (247) motor.

The US vs. the Euro version has a 3 HP difference in output (rated). Thats -1.2% or -1.36% in output. IMHO, not significant

Agree, the motors in the 924 were, as you said, the VW/Audi motor.
Agree, the motors in the 944 were, designed by porsche, and assembled by Porsche.
BTW: Porsche does a lot of motor designing, they also did the Volvo's 5 cylinder motor.

As for 1/4 mile and 0-60 times:
1988 Porsche 944 Turbo S: 0-60mph: 5.5 Sec. 1/4 mile time: 14.2 sec. (stock)
http://www.albeedigital.com/supercoupe/articles/0-60times.html
This time is absolutely compareable to a stock '99 GT: 5.5 Sec. 1/4 mile time: 14.1 sec.

A Mustang won't destroy a 944 turbo! (stock for stock) That's a driver's race.
Modded for modded, buck for buck:
Little investment into almost any forced induction, lightweight car makes them fly. (944 turbo, skyline, supra. just to mention a few)
Don't give me wrong, I like my mustang a lot better than any of the above cars, but never underestimate a forced induction car.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Light... huh.. Try sinking $1500 into a Grand National... low 12s anyone?:green

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.