Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. So I purchased a new center cable from handle to equalizer bar for $60 from Late Model Restoration for my 1996 Mustang 3.8.

I removed the screws that holds in the center console and removed it as well. My original snapped cable was still in the tensioner wheel. I was able to rotate it and hold in place with vise grips to remove the old remnant of a cable. I was able to install the new cable into the tensioner wheel.

My problem is how do I now attach the two L&R cables to the equalizer bar? Or should the center cable first be attached, via the equalizer bar, to each left and right side cable, then to the lever in the car? If that is the case, how do I know how much to rotate the tensioner wheel to get enough of a parking brake?

I am looking for some step-by-step instruction on how to do this, preferably with illustration or photos? Any advice you could lend would be much appreciated.
Thank you,
Dom

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Parking brake tension release

Are there larger holes in the equalizer that the Left and right cables can be inserted through?

I have never done this job but looking at the service manual, the trick is to pull the cable back and then insert a locking pin in the ratchet.

>>>
Cable Tension, Release

CAUTION: If any component in the parking brake system requires service or if the rear axle housing (4010) is removed, the cable tension must be released as follows:

Place parking brake control (2780) in released position.

Remove console top panel (044D90). Refer to Section 01-12 .

With an assistant inside vehicle, raise vehicle on a hoist. Refer to Section 00-02 .

Have another assistant pull parking brake cable and equalizer (2A603) rearward approximately 26-63 mm (1-2 1/2 inches) to rotate self-adjuster reel backward.

CAUTION: Do not remove the steel lockpin until the parking brake rear cable and conduit (2A635) are connected to the parking brake cable and equalizer. Pin removal releases the tension in the ratchet wheel causing the spring to unwind and release tension. If the pin is removed without the parking brake rear cable and conduit attached, the entire assembly must be removed to reset spring tension.

Insert a steel lockpin through holes in lever and parking brake control assembly. This locks ratchet wheel in the cable-released position.

Attachments

·
Registered
606 Posts
Hi. So I purchased a new center cable from handle to equalizer bar for $60 from Late Model Restoration for my 1996 Mustang 3.8.

I removed the screws that holds in the center console and removed it as well. My original snapped cable was still in the tensioner wheel. I was able to rotate it and hold in place with vise grips to remove the old remnant of a cable. I was able to install the new cable into the tensioner wheel.

My problem is how do I now attach the two L&R cables to the equalizer bar? Or should the center cable first be attached, via the equalizer bar, to each left and right side cable, then to the lever in the car? If that is the case, how do I know how much to rotate the tensioner wheel to get enough of a parking brake?

I am looking for some step-by-step instruction on how to do this, preferably with illustration or photos? Any advice you could lend would be much appreciated.
Thank you,
Dom
Here are the destructions, right out of the Ford service manual. Hope they help!

Edit - wmburns beat me to it!

Attachments

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I actually got help from an ex-Chevy Mechanic friend. We wound up putting the parking brake in the bench vise. Then with the cable attached we rotated the tensioned pulley until the hole in the pulley, which was 180 degrees away from where the cable connects to the pulley and inserted a pin so that the pin rested on the frame portion of the handle. We then released hand tension on the cable and the pin stopped on the metal frame of the handle mechanism.

Then from UNDERNEATH the car, we first connected the equalizer bar to the L&R rear cable and threaded the center cable into the hole in the chassis. We connected it to the preloaded pulley on the handle that was bolted to the floor. Once connected and secured, we easily released tension via a couple vise grips by basically walking it around after pulling the pin. We needed to remove the little plate to do the fine adjustment. It worked. Thanks again for the step-by-step instruction, I search 46 pages on here the past few days not to find it. Hopefully, someone in the future will also have a need on it too.

Also, thanks for the part LRSjmac:bigthumbsup. Every local store I called said, "Do you need the left one or the right one:nono:". Even the local Ford dealership didn't see the center cable in their parts database.

Dom

·
Registered
606 Posts
Thanks guys. I actually got help from an ex-Chevy Mechanic friend. We wound up putting the parking brake in the bench vise. Then with the cable attached we rotated the tensioned pulley until the hole in the pulley, which was 180 degrees away from where the cable connects to the pulley and inserted a pin so that the pin rested on the frame portion of the handle. We then released hand tension on the cable and the pin stopped on the metal frame of the handle mechanism.

Then from UNDERNEATH the car, we first connected the equalizer bar to the L&R rear cable and threaded the center cable into the hole in the chassis. We connected it to the preloaded pulley on the handle that was bolted to the floor. Once connected and secured, we easily released tension via a couple vise grips by basically walking it around after pulling the pin. We needed to remove the little plate to do the fine adjustment. It worked. Thanks again for the step-by-step instruction, I search 46 pages on here the past few days not to find it. Hopefully, someone in the future will also have a need on it too.

Also, thanks for the part LRSjmac:bigthumbsup. Every local store I called said, "Do you need the left one or the right one:nono:". Even the local Ford dealership didn't see the center cable in their parts database.

Dom
No problem! Glad you got it installed & that we were able to get you the part you needed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts