Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im going to swap a newer V6 into my '96 and I am looking for recommendations on what to put in there.

I've been ding a lot of reading and everyone seems to rave about the split-port intakes, I have to assume different heads would be needed to.

So, my question is; Can I take an engine form a newer model which already has a split-port intake and drop it into my '96? And, furthermore, which model would I be best to get it from? I've heard of people swapping the intake from a Windstar into their cars, can I swap the whole engine?

Please help. I can't drive my car right now and I would really like to.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
You can swap in a newer motor, the 99-04 is the range you want for a splitport but the newer the better in that range, the 01-04 have a little more power than the 99&00 models due to the IMRC's

To swap there are a few connections that will need to be modified/added, you have to use your cam position synchronizer/sensor, to be honest I don't believe you can get the IMRC's to work in your car but I'm sire there is a way to make it work of you wanted, google is your friend!!

No you can't use the Windstar motor because it is made for a FWD application

·
Registered
39 Posts
well a big problem will be the computers you will have to get a very good program to make it all mesh. Also this is extremely important!

The 03 cobra motors have to have the original key and a sensor in the trunk for the engine to work. People were swapping the cobras into other cars had everything hooked up and it wouldnt start because they didnt have the original key and sensor in the trunk !!! that would suck! they do have websites that can fix it and send you a new sensor buts its $400!!!!

so make sure if the v6 you get it from doesnt have that or your in trouble. :grinroll:

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
So, my question is; Can I take an engine form a newer model which already has a split-port intake and drop it into my '96?
short answer is yes, long answer is it requires modification of the fuel system and wiring harnesses. unless you can obtain the wiring and computer for that year motor..

thinking about it practically, the easiest way will be to get a new motor (preferably a 99-01 motor, before the IMRC's got put in) use the injectors from the old motor, use the sensors that might be different from the old motor. the old fuel rail would probably need to be modified to fit under the split-port intake. thatll be the easiest way i think...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts