Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im kinda new to the forum and had a question. I came across a motor at a salvage yard. It is a 96 explorer motor with 69000 miles the explorer was wrecked. They want around $1000 for it. is this a bad price for that low of miles? I have a 95 gt convert that has 135000 miles and i wanted to rebuild it put on gt-40 heads and explorer intake but would it be cheaper and easier to swap the whole engine? what is all included in this swap or can it even be done? I know I will need to put a better came then the stock explorer came. Which cam is a god one for this? Any help would be great. Thanks :cool:

·
Registered
105 Posts
if i was in your shoes i would rebuild what you already have ! the plus side of rebuilding yours you know what you have ! problem with that motor your talking about it has 69,000 miles which isn't alot, but still ! you really don't know how the motor was run, even being an explorer, if they changed oil regular . price seems little high to me, thats just my opinion ! i say rebuild yours . this just my 2 cents though !

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Your right even with 6x,xxx miles if they didnt change the oil in it very often it could be worse than the one i have now. With mine I am the 2nd owner and change the oil every 2500-3000 miles and I had all of the records from the first owner. Mine is not bad yet but burns a little less then a quart of oil between oil changes it depends how hard I drive it. But I still think I should rebuild it before i go crazzy with h/c/i. I wouldnt mind runin N02 some day. What do you think?

·
Registered
105 Posts
quart say every 3000 miles, is not bad really considering you do have 131k miles ! i would sit back save your money, and when you do it, do it exactly how you want ! but their's people has more miles than you with hci, some even spaying ! i'd wait till you rebuilt it before putting hci, no need of buying 2 topend gasket sets ! pull it apart one time, then you can enjoy car more ! i also noticed that you mentioned gt 40 heads, not bad choice, not be putting down on your choice . but their is better out there for little more money, but well worth it imo . now the bottle, thats another good reason rebuild, put in some good forged pistons ! doing everything at onetime, will seem like a ton of work, and seem kinda pricey, but patients is key !
but remember this is just my opinion . i'm sure others we chime in . goodluck with whatever you decide .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.