Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so tonight i went out with some friends and my friend just got a new honda civic si 2008, the car is stocked so comes with 190 hp. i own a 96 gt 4.6 comes stock with 215 but i have a exhuast and a k and n filter. we raced and the si kept up with me. a little 4cly honda kept up with me. i beet him by a car lenth and the second time i beat him by a car length and a half. whta can i do to my 4.6 gt to make it faster without kicking out a whole lot of money. im thinking of turboing it or supercharge but im thinking and looking into it. for now bolts on will have to do. give me some advice fellas!!!!!

·
Registered
232 Posts
tune for one thing. Will work miracles. gears, underdrive pulleys, livewire package, new TB, headers, there is so much

·
Registered
704 Posts
whta can i do to my 4.6 gt to make it faster without kicking out a whole lot of money. im thinking of turboing it or supercharge but im thinking and looking into it. for now bolts on will have to do. give me some advice fellas!!!!!

hahahaha

you want something cheap, so your considering a supercharger or a turbercharger?!?!!?!?!?

to put boost into a motor will cost you around 4-5k when its all said and done.

but, like said lower...try gears or a tune, full exhuast.

also, just bc its a 4cyl doesnt mean its going to be slow...ur cars 13 years old...

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
get a steeper ring and pinion ratio (gears) with out a doubt!!! It will wake youre mustang up like nothing else and itll be about $500-$600 for parts and install. :bigthumbsup
read this for a better understanding... What Gears Should I Buy? at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

is your car a manual or auto? :scratchchin

·
Registered
562 Posts
Save up your money and do a motor swap. You can find a good motor with alot of power naturally aspirated for 5k.. A shop kinda close to me has a stroker 351 twin turbo with 800 hp for sale for 6000. The motor was a rebuild but that is still a good deal.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
My daily driver is an 06 Si. They have 197hp and he should have beat you if he knew how to drive. His car is lighter and will rev to the stratosphere. I would consider P.I. swap but certainly gears like a 4.10 or 3.73 should help.

·
Registered
613 Posts
My daily driver is an 06 Si. They have 197hp and he should have beat you if he knew how to drive. His car is lighter and will rev to the stratosphere. I would consider P.I. swap but certainly gears like a 4.10 or 3.73 should help.
+1, the new SI's are not slow. You can easily rev them up the 8 or 9 grand and they like it; hence VTEC. Just because it's a 4cyl doesn't mean anything. Evo's and STI's are 4cyl's.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I'm not much of a ricer but the s2000 is NA and its a 4cyl with very respectable performance just as an example that's all

·
Registered
704 Posts
I'm not much of a ricer but the s2000 is NA and its a 4cyl with very respectable performance just as an example that's all

it runs low mid 14s for a heavy price tag...nothing to great there if you ask me. and it already has high compression so you cant run too much boost into them...

personally im not a fan.

·
Registered
833 Posts
it runs low mid 14s for a heavy price tag...nothing to great there if you ask me. and it already has high compression so you cant run too much boost into them...

personally im not a fan.
Me neither I was just making a point I had a bolt on 90 GT with 3.73s and exhaust before my 03 and my friend had a s2000 and to be honest I think it would have been a good race but he would never race me oh well.

·
Registered
720 Posts
With an almost stock engine he shoulve had you, by just a hair. Ive raced an Si and took it but only by 2 cars. Our cars are actually 14yrs. old but whos counting?? Not me, I just hit 76K mi and it still runs like a top!! Ive found 96's react real real good to a tune and of course 4:10 gears.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
First thing to do is gears, they will give you the most bang for the buck, after that, subframes, tuner, and exhaust. There's a ton of stuff you can do to get faster, but gears (3.73 or 4.10) and subframes are the first thing to do.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Me neither I was just making a point I had a bolt on 90 GT with 3.73s and exhaust before my 03 and my friend had a s2000 and to be honest I think it would have been a good race but he would never race me oh well.

yes i would agree with you. plus some people love the way the look. its just our mustangs our sooo much cheaper, thats why i dont give honda credit on that one....

·
Registered
47 Posts
best things (IMO) bang for your buck

4.10 gears, long tubes with off road h pipe.

all new it would cost around 500-600 depending on brand name.

i bought my off road pipe used for $100 as well as my long tubes for $150. and gears new (i would NEVER buy them used) go for like 169ish.

but just those will wake your car up.

or just do a PI head swap and get an extra 60hp haha

·
Registered
603 Posts
Honda is much lighter so fell pround alot more weight and you still out ran him!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.