Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 96 mustang with a 302 in it from an 89 crown vic. i got the car about 6 months age it has edelbrock rpm performer top end kit been bored over .040 has hei ignition. my problem is it starts hard and after i get it start it backfires through the carb and has real rough idle. this all started a few months ago i was driving along doing 55 mph and i heard a loud bang and the motor died. i looked under the hood and noticed the rotor broke apart. so i replaced the distributor and plugs and wires. went to start it and the back fire through the carb happens but disappears at high idle. so i talked to some of my teachers at my auto tech school they said maybe the oil pump so i pulled the motor and replaced it checked the cam to make sure a lobe wasnt flat. removed all the valves to see if i bent one and every thing checked out fine b ut clearly something isnt right. so any help i would gladly appreciate

was also thinking maybe the valves are not right because ive never adjusted valves before how edelbrock wants theirs adjusted

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Is the distributor possibly 180 degrees off?

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
Welcome to the site.

I'm moving this to the 5.0 section so that you may get some more views and some more responses.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Make sure you have the right firing order. Also recheck your timing as that backfire is timing related.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
im not 180 out i just checked that and ive got the right firing order. the timing being off seems like the most obvious thing but ive checked the timing and its dead on. unless its off by the distributer.

and thanks for welcoming me

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Yes your ignition timing is off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
any idea what you think i should have it timed at then because ive tried every position i can think of and it still backfires through the intake

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
96 mustand with an 89 302 just got the crankshaft turned .010 under with new bearings and a new b cam. I go to prime the engine with straight 20 weight lucas break in oil and it builts 25 psi then the gauge drops to around 20 psi. Also the drivers side lifters are not getting oil. Any help would be great thanks

·
Registered
697 Posts
96 mustand with an 89 302 just got the crankshaft turned .010 under with new bearings and a new b cam. I go to prime the engine with straight 20 weight lucas break in oil and it builts 25 psi then the gauge drops to around 20 psi. Also the drivers side lifters are not getting oil. Any help would be great thanks
just noticed how old the original post was?

As far as the new part of post check cambearingsand gallary plugs

1 - 12 of 12 Posts