Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 Gt with an exhaust and an intake. I had already driven my car all day and all weekend, hundreds of miles, without a problem. I noticed my car took a bit longer to start up after sitting for quite a few hours. The engine sputtered as it started up. It still ran fine all the way home and then to a friends house. Once again I let it sit for a few hours and it took a few seconds to crank and drove decent. About 5 minutes in the car starts decelerating fast and losing rpms when I take my foot off the gas. It takes a couple seconds to get going from a stop. The engine seems starved and the rpms are below 500. Then the car died, no power steering or power brakes. It immediately started back up and if I didn't rev the engine it would quickly die again. It continued to start and I finally made it home.

I had recently ran a can of seafoam through a vac line but it seemed fine since. I've also installed a CAI in the past couple weeks. I thought maybe it was a bad IAC valve, possibly clogged. I did have a code for low EGR flow but I doubt the effects could be that severe. I'd really appreciate any feedback because I need the car back on the road. Thanks in advance

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
yeah I'd get a new IAC to start

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
+1 to IAC valve, but before you go buying anything I would verify that there are no vacuum leaks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really appreciate the quick responses. I had posted this before I took a look into the engine bay because it was around midnight when it happened. I found out one of the vac hoses that didn't fit my new CAI right had come off so I secured it on there and all is well. I had panicked because my last stang, a 95, started dying on me while driving and caused me to wreck.

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
what a stupid thing to even have on a car...the emissions are less because you are diluting it? Yeah ok...the "solution to pollution is not dilution", but somehow the stupid gov't thinks it is

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
I thought maybe it was a bad IAC
A bad IAC value isn't going to cause power loss during cruise (unless it's leaking).

Here's some information on how to trouble shoot IAC/idle issues:

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...ng-idle-idling-rough-post2260649.html#2260649

IMO there are several possible causes for the reported symptom.

Recommend perform a through review of the battery and charging system. Cut corners here at your own risk! Bottom line. Today's cars will not run right without a strong battery and charging system.

Vacuum leak should be high on the list of possible root causes.

Excessive EGR flow can cause a loss of power.

Also consider measuring the fuel pressure.

Also try this. Cycle the key on/pause/off several times without cranking. Listen for the fuel pump to run on key key cycle. Does this improve starting? If so, consider fuel pressure leak down as a possible problem source.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts