Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
k...so, here's the deal: My 97 3.8L stang started misfiring a few days ago after my ac compressor freaked out and sprayed r134a all over the place. I took it in to the local autozone to have them check out my codes and it turns out that my CPS is T/U. So, I called my local mechanic to find out how much it would cost to replace the CPS and synchronizer. He quoted me $498.85. I have never had issues in the past with a camshaft position sensor. Does this seem like a fair price?

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
nope, i did mine myself for 50$ brand new. even at a shop the price seems kinda high.
+1

A sensor takes about 5 minutes and no calibration to change, and a synchronizer about 30 minutes to change with some alignment of the shaft. We would also need the exact code to help you find out which one it is.....

·
Registered
123 Posts
all you need is your vin # to get the exact one, id recommend a tech if you arent comfortable with the job. but its pretty straight forward. keep us posted.

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
huh your vin? why? just tell them what kind of car you have they will look it up...

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I THOUGHT I HAD A PROBLEM with mind and it was the distributor cap..that was-making it run crazy..
Turn off the caps lock. It's "mine" and not "mind". Using periods to indicate a trailing thought should be three (...) -- it's called ellipses. "was-making" is just wrong... oh and 3.8L V6s do not have a distributor. :nono:

(Sorry, sometimes really poor grammar just bugs me -- mostly since it seems the person didn't take the time to think of a proper response. And the comment about a distributor proved it. :yelwacko:)

I think Shiner was asking for the error code to tell if you need either the sensor or the synchronizer.

The shop probably wants to charge that much mostly for labor time ('cause they use extensive process to calibrate the timing) -- and it's way too much, IMO!! Check the sticky thread at the top of the "V6 Tech section": Shiner explains an easy DIY method of replacing the synchro and properly calibrating it with the sensor. :bigthumbsup

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.