Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently have bought a 97 gt and its having trouble starting. It normally takes about two tries to get it started and then its fine. It only happens when the car is sitting for about 2 hours or more. I don't have a ton of mechanical knowledge, so i anyone had any ideas i would appreciate it.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Try cleaning the injectors.

If their stuck, or they don't colse 100% they can dripp lots of gas into the heads. After that, they also allow some air to get back into the fuel rails which could cause starting problems.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Your going to have to be more specific. Does the engine turn over but will not catch fire? Or does nothing happen when you turn the key? Have you tried giving it gas while starting it? I need more details to help you, buddy. :thumbsup

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, its turns over just doesn't catch fire. It takes about one more try then it fires right up

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
97woodwarddream said:
Yeah, its turns over just doesn't catch fire. It takes about one more try then it fires right up
After it catches, it doesn't try to die or anything?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it stays strong once its started it just has a bit of trouble getting started on the first try

·
Registered
31 Posts
Your problem could be that you are not waiting long enough when you turn the ignition to the on position, for the fuel pump to send pressure to the fuel injectors. You will notice if you turn the key to on.... that the fuel pump will make a sound then shut off, after it does that, then try starting the car.

With my 92 5.0 i wasnt waiting some times and it would start, and then run really rough and i would have to gas it to keep it running. Thats a not good with fuel injection. My grandpa also had the same problem with his grand marquis, he would have to start it twice, but he never waited for the fuel pump to pressurize either.

And dont pump a fuel injection by the way..... the days of carburators are over (thank god) :worship

Hope this helps you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.