Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have a 97 Mustang GT 4.6L SOHC 5speed.
It will start but die 5 seconds later. I thought is was the grounds for the injectors but now I'm not sure. I have replaced the PCM, IAC valve, camshaft position sensor, crankshaft position sensor, EGR valve, intake manifold gaskets, spark plugs. and I have ran a code reader on it and reads no codes. I can keep the car running by cycling the key from on to off several times but it will still die. It will die when even if i hold down the gas. the theft light does not come on at all I've checked the buld and it is good. And what I've read about the PATS system says it wouldn't start at all if the PATS was bad. I haven't replaced the CCRM yet but I'm not even sure that is the problem. please help it driving me crazy. O and the Inertia swich has been reset. and the fuel pump does come on and stay on.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
First check all fuses in the engine bay and driver's kick panel.

Do this. Turn the key on but do not crank. Does the theft light come on at all? If not, STOP and find out why.

Does the theft light go off after a 3 second "prove out"? If not, STOP and find out why.

Note, the 96-98 PATS works differently than the 99-04 PATS. The 96-98 PATS will either give a "no crank" or a starts and then die symptom.

The 99-04 will give a no-crank.

IMO, your problem is either PATS or something is happening when the PCM switches from "open loop" to "closed loop". Since you stated that the theft light does not come on "at all", my vote is the light is burned out.

Does disconnecting the MAF sensor make any difference?

OBTW, lack of injectors ground won't cause this.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts