Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 Mustang GT and for the past two summers I've been trying to figure out why it is over heating.

Last summer we replaced the thermostat and that didn't help. This summer we flushed the cooling system and sprayed the radiator coils down to remove anything that might have been blocking it.

After flushing the system we noticed that the fan wasn't kicking on at any point. When we tried to manually spin the fan it took every ounce of strength to get it to move an inch.
My question is could it just be that the fan needs replaced,or could it be that the relay went out, or the CCRM and the fan is just corroded from not moving in over two years?

I can't figure out how to get diagnostic codes from it so I'm completely lost. I don't want to spend hundreds replacing the fan if it only needs a $10 relay.

Any advice would be appreciated!

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
your fan should spin freely, not hard to spin. If it's throwing codes, you can usually go to an autozone or other retailers, if they are close enough to drive to without overheating before you get there, they do it for free.
Also make sure you get all the air out of it or it'll overheat all the time. I just replaced the coolant in my Cobra and thermostat. it was time consuming just to get right.

·
Registered
720 Posts
TThe fan should start at about 3/4 of th way through the temp. gauge. Check the voltae going to the fan, if its getting power it must be the fan. If not check all the wiring and see where along the lines you lose power.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
your fan should spin freely, not hard to spin. If it's throwing codes, you can usually go to an autozone or other retailers, if they are close enough to drive to without overheating before you get there, they do it for free.
Also make sure you get all the air out of it or it'll overheat all the time. I just replaced the coolant in my Cobra and thermostat. it was time consuming just to get right.
I'll try taking it to auto zone tonight; hopefully I'll make it without overheating.

We just changed the coolant last night, how do you make sure all of the air is out?

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
driving at night will be a little cooler, plus turn on the air and turn it on high with the heat on, that'll help alittle too. hope you find out the problem:bigthumbsup
oh, fill up the degas bottle(with cap off) and grab the coolant hose to your left and keep squeezing it for a while to get the bubbles out. then start the car and let it run with the heat on high, turn the know all the way to the left like you have the AC on but the temp knob all the way over on the red for heat. Watch the temp gauge and make sure it doesn't go to high, if it starts going past the half way point (halfway is fine but not past) turn it off. Let it cool, do some more pumping on the coolant hose. then do it all over again.

P

·
0 Posts
your fan should spin by hand. if it doesn't its seized. if it is seized, when the circuit commanded the fan on it probably popped the coolant fan fuse. check the fuse. before you put a new one in, install a test light in your fan plug. replace the fuse and start your car. run it until the test light comes on (don't let it overheat) if the light comes on the fan circuit wiring should be fine. you'll need a fan.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.