Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i got around 115k miles on my daily driven pony. i would really like to get into the low to mid 13s. as of now i believe i can get my car into the 14-14.1 range with a little more practice. is nitrous safe for a daily driven vehicle like mine with high miles. she still pulls strong and i have no problems whatsoever. i would have it installed by a well known shop and tuned there so all of the labor would be on them. i am curious about a few tihngs.

1. will the bottle effect the daily driving of my car? i understand you must have it armed, but will the tune my car recieves "require" the nitrous to be ran at WOT?

2. is the bottle safe to leave in my vehicle at all times(heat and cold)?

3. and most importantly, would i be asking for trouble spraying the car ONLY when i go to the track? (one night a week)

thanks to all in advance!!

·
Registered
720 Posts
Okay.
From what Ive heard, the nitrous is not explosive unless mixed with air but yes it is safe in your car in the heat and cold(if your only going to use it at the track take it out while daily driving). If it wasnt they wouldnt sell bottle WARMERS. You should only run like a 75 shot(What Ill be running next week!!) until you do soem more mods. The tune wont be necessary if you buy the ZEX kit, it will automatically monitor your air/ fuel ratio and shut down your nitrous if it senses danger.

In my opinion 115K mi is a little high to be running nitrous on especially if you havent done internals and what not. But Ive seen crazier. Ive heard before "NOS is like a really hot woman with AIDS, you really want to hit it but your scared of the consequences". Well i thought about it and with 35k mi. less Ive decided to hit it, Ill tell you how it goes next wk. end.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Nitrous isn't explosive, it acts like Oxygen as an oxidizer when it is heated in the combustion chamber, when it gets to a certain temp during combustion, Oxygen is released and means more fuel can be burned.

Other than over pressurizing a tank and causing it to rupture, Nitrous is safe. Just follow the directions and don't overpressurize the bottle.

Depending on how the car was maintained and if mileage is mostly city or highway, you might be okay with a small 50-75 whp shot. If you decide to spray, give the car a full tune up, FOLLOW the instructions with your kit and ONLY run good 93 Octane fuel!

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
okay sounds great! thank you guys for the advice! please let me know how the spray goes!

·
Registered
720 Posts
Well the kit came in today, SURPRISE!! and Ill be installing it soon(very soon). What if I use regular fuel? What are the effects? Detonation?

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Well the kit came in today, SURPRISE!! and Ill be installing it soon(very soon). What if I use regular fuel? What are the effects? Detonation?
Yes, or worse, you will ruin your pistons from the detonation if you spray and use bad fuel (read: low octane). FOLLOW the directions or you will have issues.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
If you use regular fuel with nitrous, its gonna go boom. If you run nitrous it is a must to run good fuel, if you're using a power adder don't mess around with crappy fuel or you'll get crappy results. If you decide to run 87 octane, bring a broom and a dustpan.

·
Registered
536 Posts
lol ya that would not be good allways use 93 or more when on the spray and get 1 heat range colder spark plugs also

·
Registered
720 Posts
Pics coming soon!! I installed it in 3 hours, not too bad considering this is my first time doing anything like this to my engine!! The installation was pretty straight forward and I put the tank in the right hand side of my trunk, where I could use some extra weight. I filled up yesterday with premium $3.19/gal. My first spray didnt go so hot it was makin all kinds of funny noises and didnt feel right. So I took it to I45 and opened it up let the engine get nice and hot then let it rip. I felt like Vin Diesel when I engaged the system and floored it, I heard the line move in the trunk and then bam I flew. I suggest EVERYONE get the zex kir, but upgrade your plugs first, I cant wait to see what I can do once I get new plugs, wires and distributor in!!...Pics coming soon!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.